.28

Evelyn.

"Can you pass me that tissue box?" Hailey outstretched her hand.

Luke complied, handing her the metal box with the restaurant's name. I nearly rolled my eyes at the two of them, invigorated by the loud sounds of the people around us. Putting my head on Luke's shoulder, I closed my eyes for a moment.

Social conventions can be so frustrating.

I don't choose to be around people. They choose to be around me. For some reason.

It's quite invigorating, if I'm being honest.

But no matter- I like this friend group enough to tolerate their presence.

Hailey and Ashton invited me and Luke out for a dinner, a double date, though I desperately wished they wouldn't call it that.

Ever since Luke came to mine, there had been inordinate tension between us. Consistently, we had gotten to that of just... over the edge.

We constantly found ourselves in heated kisses, passionate moments with bodies pressed against each other, and clothes nearly discarded.

I, of course, emphasize nearly, as every time, one of us pulled away. Usually being him. Sometimes, it was a work situation; other times, he wanted to 'not take it too far'.

Yawn.

I would much rather be home with him, alone. Even if we weren't about to fuck. Though, I was secretly wishing that I could.

Though I guess I couldn't complain too much about being here, with my friends.

I sat quietly, listening to the conversations occurring between them. Luke sat next to me, his hand on my knee lightly in a comforting touch.

I've found out in my time with him that his love language was touch. He loved to have his hands on me- at all times. It did not matter where we were, what we were doing, he just loved to be in contact with me.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Luke's hand grazed up my thigh, moving up. My head whipped around to stare at his face, eyes wide.

I was startled to see him still staring straight ahead, jaw locked and in a smile as he laughed at something Ashton said. He continued to move his hand up, slowly and tantalizingly. I let out a shaky breath.

Of all days to wear a skirt, today was not the right day.

I gripped my fork tighter, trying to control my breathing as his fingers grazed the bare skin further up, and up.

Jolting forward at the feeling, I nearly cried out when his pinkie touched the lacy material under my skirt. He pressed it unwavering as I bit my lip.

"Luke," I whispered, fumbling to grip his wrist lightly. I tried to pull it off but failed, "What are you doing?"

Finally, he turned around casually, tilting his head to lean in. His lips brushed against my ear, a shock shooting down my spine as he spoke.

"I am doing nothing."

I bit my lip to avoid a scream, turning my attention back to Hailey. She was laughing at something Ashton had said, giving me time to re-compose myself.

"So, Eve," Hailey finally stopped laughing and turned to me with a smile, "How's your job so far?"

I swallowed, trying to remember what I had told her last time.

Government job.

Just leave it as vague as that, Evelyn.

"All the boring things," I attempted to speak without a shake in my voice, "You know, filing papers."