fifty-seven

DOUBLE UPDATE YAY

     The next day Jared woke at about eleven and brushed his teeth in the room’s ensuite, looking critically at himself in the mirror. Did he look like Dad? It was hard to tell when your face was so familiar.

     Padding down the corridor, he heard voices coming from Isaac’s room and entered to see Isaac sat cross-legged at the desk in the corner while Cosmo lay sprawled on his bed. The curtains were wide-open, cold winter sunlight spilling in as Isaac turned to the opening door.

    “Hi J-” he began, then cut himself off and turned swiftly back around. “Ohmygod dude put a shirt on. Too early.”

     Jared grinned.

    “For what? Triggering your muscle inferiority complex?”

    “You’re an arsehole and I don’t know why I like you. Your dad and Renee’ve gone out to a Christmas Eve market, by the way.”

    “Why’s Cos here?”

     They both turned their heads to where Cosmo lay face up on the bed, eyes screwed tightly shut. Isaac shook his head fondly.

    “He’s trying to get the courage up to ask Stella out for coffee. I’ve given him my motivational playlist to listen to.”

     Cosmo had the volume up so loud that they could hear it from the other side of the room, and Jared’s forehead crinkled.

    “Is that Mulan?” he demanded, suppressing a smile.Seriously, Isaac? ‘I’ll Make a Man Out of You?’ Really?”

     Isaac rolled his eyes.

    “Such an arsehole,” he muttered to himself.