eighty-eight

Jared called Isaac as soon as he got home, but the phone just rang and rang before going to voicemail.

    “Hi, it’s Isaac. Sorry I can’t answer your call at the moment. Please text or leave a message! I- erm, okay, bye now!”

     He texted instead.

    Need to speak to you. I’m sorry for everything. Please call me back? x

     There was no answer to that, either, even three hours of painful waiting later. He couldn’t stop checking his phone, but he restrained himself from calling again. Isaac had every right to ignore him right now, and he had to be patient. This was going to take time and effort and Jared was determined to do whatever it took.

     He texted,

    I can wait. Willing to do fucking anything you want, okay? I miss you. hope you’re doing ok x

     No answer. He called again on Sunday, but this time it went straight to voicemail.

     “Hi, it’s Isaac. Sorry I can’t answer your call at the moment. Please text or leave a message! I- erm, okay, bye now!”

     There was something jarring about it, that upbeat tone on a dead phone. Jared’s stomach felt odd, cold and tight and kind of sick. He called again, working himself up without even realising it.

     “Hi, it’s Isaac. Sorry I can’t answer your-”

     He ended the call like hearing the voicemail recording finish again was going to make something bad happen, and paced across the room. It was okay, he told himself. So Isaac had turned his phone off. That didn’t mean anything. He forced his breathing slower.