four

“Ari’s got his eye on you,” Jared told Isaac the next day in English. Isaac’s nose wrinkled up in confusion.

    “What?”

    “Ari’s got his eye on you.” Still no sign of comprehension. “As in, he’s fucking attracted to you.”

     Silence, and wide eyes.

    “Oh,” said Isaac.

    “Don’t tell me you’re a homophobic arsehole as well as a regular one,” said Jared, but Isaac shook his head.

    “No, it’s not that. Well. I mean. I’m a Catholic.”

     Jared burst out laughing, harsh and mocking.

    “Oh that’s brilliant. Can’t wait to see his reaction to that bombshell.

     He paused, half expecting Isaac to take offense or at least look slightly uncomfortable, but Isaac just shrugged with a small and private smile.

    “Although to be honest, I don’t think that’d really matter,” he said. “I’ve already got my ticket to hell pretty much finalised.”

    “What the fuck for?” asked Jared, curiosity getting the better of him. Because really, Isaac and sin? The boy looked the picture of innocence, the poster boy for goodness with his perfect uniform and neat hair, that dimpled smile and quiet voice.

     Isaac didn’t answer his question.

    “Ari's not really my type though,” he said instead, and grinned unexpectedly as he reached for his Shakespeare.