forty

“You can come and help with Arthur’s furniture if you want,” offered Isaac as he drove them home. “Then we can do the project after.”

    “Sure,” Jared answered, stretching out his hands above his head and trying not to overthink the implications of Jared Spencer going to willingly help out an old man for free, voluntarily. For free. Nope. Definitely not thinking too much about that one. Instead he turned to Isaac and broached a question he’d been wondering about since Sunday. “Hey Isaac-”

    “Yeah?” Isaac’s voice seemed sort of absent-minded.

    “What’s up with you and Lily?”

     There was a slight pause. The song changed to something that sounded to Jared like people playing ping-pong to a guitar soundtrack.

    “Erm. We have a bit of history I guess? We kissed, once, but you know. I was kinda drunk. Some trivia for you, there, J- I’m a massive lightweight. Like, embarrassingly lightweight.”

    “Woah,” said Jared sarcastically. “That’s a surprise.”

     He was kinda hurt by Isaac’s weak diversion attempt, and Isaac seemed to notice because he sighed slightly and elaborated, as if it very much pained him to do so-

    “It was at a party last year. I wasn’t- it triggered a whole load of stuff that wasn’t- very good.”

    Another pause. Jared didn’t say anything, hoping he’d continue- but that was apparently all he was getting.

     ‘Wait for me,’ sang the guy on the CD. ‘I know it won’t be easy.’