fifty-three

“I feel like I have a porcupine in my head,” mumbled Isaac later, leaning his forehead on the cool car window. They were at a petrol station, and Cosmo had gone in to get the Sourpatch Kids he insisted were necessary for car journeys (mostly because Jared hated them, so Cosmo got to eat the whole packet). “I regret everything I’ve ever done in like my whole life. Ever.”

     “That doesn’t even make sense,” Jared muttered back, voice muffled from where his head was hidden under a blanket. And then, almost as an afterthought- “Idiot.”

      Isaac snorted a laugh and they sat in companionable silence (well, Isaac sat- Jared was laid out on the other two seats with his knees pulled up and his head towards Isaac) until Isaac said hesitantly,

     “Thanks for- you know. Looking after me.”

     Jared was suddenly very grateful for the fact his face was covered, because he could feel his cheeks heating up and knew he had gone red (whyyyyyy). There were so many things he wanted to say, but they were all floating just out of reach in his head so he just raised a thumbs up and listened to Isaac’s answering chuckle.

     Isaac reached out a hand and caught his thumbs up mid-sway, squeezing it a second before letting go.

      Jared’s hand fucking tingled. The car seemed suddenly too small, and his head too small for all his thoughts. For a second nothing was tangible, nothing was clear. He had never been more relieved to hear Cosmo’s voice.