twenty-seven

Jared asked Willa out on a date that Saturday and she said yes (well come on, of course she did). 

     And if she added after agreeing,

    "This isn't a date, by the way,"

     -well, Jared was just gonna take it as denial. They were a boy and a girl who weren't quite friends and were attracted to each other (well, he was sort of assuming on Willa's part- most people were attracted to him, after all) going to the cinema and if that wasn't a date then he didn't know what was. 

     Not that he'd gone on many dates before. He wasn't really a dating sort of guy. 

     On Friday Jared was freaking out (very subtly, and with an exterior of cool-calm of course) over lunch. For some reason Isaac had ended up at his table (they'd had English, they'd been talking, ended up sitting down opposite each other in the sixth form cafe before they even knew it... Not Jared's fault at fucking all). 

    "Stop it," said Isaac suddenly, and Gladstone - who'd only spared Isaac a fleeting glance and a confused "hi mate" when he sat down - looked over at them. 

    "Stop what?" he asked, and Isaac laughed quietly, eyes fixed on Jared because they both knew exactly what he meant. Jared threw a potato wedge at him.

    "Don't know what you're talking about," he said, watching in satisfaction as Isaac raised an eyebrow, debating whether or not to rise to the bait. In the end he settled for a simple,

    "It'll be fine," before gathering up his things and throwing a careless goodbye to the rest of Jared's friends. 

     When Isaac had gone (God knows where; Jared was pretty sure he put effort into maintaining his touch of mystery), Gladstone slipped into the empty seat and frowned, lost.

    "What was that about?" he asked. Jared glared at him.

    "Nothing."