fifty-one

"We're sorry to announce that our arrival in Calais will be delayed due to stormy weather," announced the captain's voice, and then the message was repeated in French.

    "Fuck this shit," said the bartender – Jolene - suddenly, tugging a wire out of the bar's speakers and cutting off Shakin' Stevens in the middle of  'snow is fallin', all around us-'. "I hate Christmas. Seriously."

    "...Okayy?" offered Cosmo, slightly lost, but Jolene was already connecting up her iPhone. Jared braced himself for screaming woe and heavy metal shit, but it never came. Instead-

    'We're all bored, we're all so tired of everything-'

    "I love this song!" Cosmo enthused happily, as Jolene turned the volume up so loud Jared felt himself vibrating. The sleazy businessmen drinking themselves into oblivion looked about to throw up from the music's pounding as Jolene yelled at Cosmo,

    "YOU LIKE TAYLOR SWIFT?"

    "I LOVE HER!" yelled back Cosmo, already dancing in his signature all-out, throw-your-limbs-everywhere style.

     And then Jolene came round the bar and took hold of Jared's brother in a way that was, frankly, going to give him nightmares when he got sober- one hand grasping his arse and the other his face, pushing her boobs up towards him as she ground to the beat. Jared's mouth actually fell open and he was pretty sure he let out something like a squeak of shock, but Cosmo looked just as into it as Jolene (to be honest, he looked like all the dreams he'd ever had were coming true). He began grinding enthusiastically up against her and this time Jared's whimper (which roughly translated to fucking fuck why am I seeing this I'm gonna need to wash out my eyes with fucking hydrochloric acid) was audible even above the music.

    "Oh my God your face," came a delighted voice in Jared's ear, warm breath on his neck. He turned to have Isaac almost sprawl over him, slim-fingered hand going to his shoulder as he tripped and giggled (there was no other word for it; it was exuberant and breathless and ridiculous). There was no sign of Cora/Dora, and Jared allowed himself to hope she'd gone back to her cabin. "S- sorry," said Isaac, righting himself with a stupid, dazzling grin.

    Jared rolled his eyes, but his head was spinning and for a split second it occurred to him that the alcohol was only partly the cause.

    "More shots?" offered Isaac, gesturing cheerfully to their empty glasses and Cosmo's quarter-full duty-free vodka (which for some reason had now made it to the bar top). His movements were clumsy and bright, gold-brown eyes sparkling in the tacky disco lights.

   "No more," said Jared, because maybe the less drunken-thinking he did, the better.