Not your fault - Part 3 - Bruce Banner x Reader

An uneasy truce between Clint and Bruce had fallen over the compound. Neither man really saying anything to one another as they passed, each taking it in turns to watch over (Y/n). Bruce sure that he could hear the incessant beep of the machines that surrounded (Y/n)'s body, even when he managed to sleep.

Cho was always doing her best to reassure the two men, as well as the rest of the team, that (Y/n) was doing well. That the scans on her body indicated that the concussion and broken bones were healing perfectly, and that at any moment she would wake up. But as the days passed, everyone was beginning to wonder.

Bruce sat in his lab, doing his best to work. Normally he could bury himself in equations, formulas, and possible new discoveries for days without even thinking or noticing. Between him and Tony, the pair would rarely sleep if they were working on something new, living off coffee and Tony's blueberries. But now that was impossible. Everything appeared different, darker. Nothing seemed to make sense anymore, not unless (Y/n) was sat at the other end of his table, asking him about what he was doing, and giving him a smile that not only lit up his heart, but the whole room.

"You ok?" A voice asked from behind him. Bruce turning to find Tony looking over at him.

"Er......yeah. Never better." Bruce replied. Both men knowing that he was the furthest thing ok.

"Look. I know you've already heard this, but.........(Y/n) will be ok. That girl is just like Clint, stubborn. And just imagine the fun she is going to have at your expense when she recovers and can claim that not even the Hulk can beat her. You know that (Y/n) Barton couldn't pass that up." Tony chucked, as he took a seat next to Bruce.

Bruce found himself smiling at the notion that (Y/n) would not only tease him but would also be able to tease Thor and Loki too. Claiming that she didn't need to be a god to survive the Hulk. Taking great delight in watching as the God of Mischief would sit and sulk. That she was truly yet to forgive the god for what he had done to Clint. And that watching Loki squirm would delight her to no end.

"It's been too long. She should be awake by now. She should already be sat up, laughing and smiling. Threatening to hide Clint's bow. Teasing Bucky about the time she was able to sneak into his rooms and put fridge magnets on his arm without him knowing about it. She's never going to wake up." Bruce said, as he dropped his head into his hands.

"You of all people should know that she'll wake up when she's good and ready. And as you aren't doing anything good down here, why don't you go and take over from Clint? I'm sure that he could do with a break." Tony replied, as he patted Bruce on the shoulder, and turned to go back to fixing one of the malfunctioning thrusters on his suit.

                                                          >>--------------------------------<<

Bruce knocked quietly on the door to (Y/n)'s room. Clint not even bothering to look around as the doctor entered.

"Your early." Clint growled, as he reached forward and moved an eyelash from (Y/n)'s cheek.

"There's been no change if that's what you're wondering." Clint continued, as he sighed heavily. The archer's stretching out his legs as he tried to get some feeling back in his limbs.

"I thought that you might need a break. I'll take over for a while." Bruce told Clint as he walked over to the bedside. The Archer letting go of his sisters' hand as he slowly rose from his chair.

"If there's any change, let me know." Clint said softly, as he made for the door.

"I'm sorry." Bruce called out, as he took his place in the chair.

"I know how much (Y/n) means to you. I know how much you mean to her. You know, sometimes she does nothing but talk about you. She goes on and on about how strong you are, how brave you are. She always tells me that she wishes she was more like you. She's very proud of you." Bruce continued, sensing that the archer was still in the room.

"The first time I saw her was when she came into the common room and jumped into your arms. I don't think I've ever seen you happier than you appeared at that moment. I remember that you turned around and glared at everyone as she spoke to Natasha. I swear that if looks could kill, Tony would probably have been dead." Bruce chuckled, as he took hold of (Y/n)'s hand.

"The first thing she said to me was, how can someone so cute be seen as so scary. That she thought that the big green guy was just misunderstood. And despite what I tried to tell her, she just told me that I should watch Beauty and the Beast, and that the right woman would see past the beast, to the man inside me. I don't think that anyone had ever talked about Hulk in such a way. I don't think anyone has talked about me in such a way. That I wasn't defined by what I turned into, but instead what was in my heart. I think that was when I knew I loved her, that I didn't need to know her to already know that I didn't want to be without her." Bruce told Clint. The archer shaking his head as he returned to the side of his sister's bed.

"Natasha told me that you were going to leave. I'm glad you stayed. I know (Y/n), if you hadn't been here when she woke up, she would have left as soon as she was able, and she wouldn't have stopped until she found you. Just promise me one thing, Banner. Don't ever hurt her." Clint replied, placing his hand on Bruce's shoulder before he left the room.

"Never again." Bruce answered, as the door closed quietly.

"I know that you probably can't hear me, honey. But I'm sorry. I know I've said this a thousand times already, and I'll probably say it a thousand times more when you wake up. But......I'm sorry. I'm not only sorry for what happened that day, but also for thinking that you would be happier and safer if I wasn't here. That leaving would make everything better. Because I know it wouldn't. Because this time I wouldn't just be hurting myself, I would be hurting you too. I love you (Y/n) and I don't ever want to lose you. You are the only one that can truly see through the beast to the man beneath. You (Y/n) Barton are my beauty, and I'm never going to let you go." Bruce told (Y/n), as he dropped his head on top of their intertwined hands.

"I am so gonna tell Tony that you watched Beauty and the Beast. He'll have a field day." A raspy voice said. A shocked Bruce quickly lifting his head to see a very tired (Y/n) looking down at him.

"No. Anyone but Tony." Bruce chuckled, as he moved to sit next to (Y/n) on the bed. His hands gently cupping her face as they smiled at one another.

"My silence will cost you, Banner." (Y/n) said, as she tried her best not to laugh at the thought of the Hulk's hair being tied up in pretty little ribbons like the beasts.

"And what would the beauty want from her beast?" Bruce asked, as he carefully wiped away the tears that were rolling down (Y/n)'s cheeks.

"We'll start with a kiss, because that's how the story ends. But unlike Belle and the Beast. Our story is just beginning." (Y/n) said, as Bruce leaned over and kissed her softly on the lips. Bruce knowing that (Y/n) would always tell him, that it wasn't his fault.