Bucky and the Phantom- Bucky Barnes x Reader

Warning: Bucky having nightmares/PTSD episode. Mention of ghosts.

Summary: You're a mutant that can control the spirits of the dead, you can leave your physical body and roam the world as an apparition, and you can raise an army of the dead to fight by your side. They call you Phantom.

Even though you had been an Avenger for some time now, many of the team were still a little uneasy around you, given your gifts. You found it a little difficult, but you understood as best you could; it wasn't as if this was the first time people had been nervous, if not scared of your abilities. Unfortunately, you had developed a huge crush on the handsome Bucky Barnes from the moment you met him; there was just something about him, he was a lost soul in a time that wasn't his, and even though he had Steve, there was just something that made you want to help; but he always seemed more uncomfortable around you than most. So, you tried to hide your feelings knowing that it was for the best.

The latest mission had been particularly tough, and no one had come back without an injury of some kind, all of you quietly going to your own rooms without much of a word as you arrived back at the compound. You showered trying to ease your aching muscles, even in your phantom form the fight had taken its toll; Bucky had nearly been injured badly and if it hadn't been for Clint things could have been much worse, and your concern for Bucky had led to you being injured yourself. You dressed and curled into bed, feeling the cool sheets against your body, finally able to relax and put the mission behind you, hoping that tomorrow would be better for the team and that Bucky would be ok.

Bucky, however, was having a difficult night, nightmares were disturbing his serenity, images that he hadn't seen in a long time stalked his dreams. He awoke screaming, covered in sweat, his heart pounding out of his chest, he gripped onto the sheets for dear life, fearing that if he let go the nightmares would take him again. His wide eyes stared out into the all-enveloping darkness not knowing what to do, then he thought of something; he needed to talk to someone special, and there was only one person who could help him.

                                                               >>-----------------------------------<<

There was a knock at your bedroom door startling you out of your sleep. Yawning and stretching you looked over at the clock, 2am; who would be awake now, and why would they be waking you? You thought as you made your way the door as another hefty knock met your ears.

"Ok, ok give me a second!" you yawned out.

Opening the door, there in front of you was Bucky, sweat covering his body, his hair sticking to his face, his breathing fast and irregular. He looked at you like a desperate child, fear and tears evident in his eyes.

"Bucky, are you ok? You look terrible, what's wrong?" You asked, shocked to see him at your door in the middle of the night.

"(Y/n), I need to ask you something, you are the only person that can help me." Seeing how desperate he was your heart broke, all you could think about was taking him in your arms and holding him tight, but you knew you couldn't, so you did the only thing you could and let him in.

"(Y/n) I know I haven't been the best person around you and I'm sorry, but I need to ask you if you can do something for me. I know I have no right to ask but please, I'm desperate." He pleaded, as you look at him sat next to you on your bed.

"Bucky, if I can help you, you just need to ask." You said, putting your hand on his shoulder trying to reassure him.

"I need to talk to someone, someone who is no longer here. I need to speak to my mom!"

You looked at him a little taken a back. "Bucky, I can do it, but I can only bring her back once. There are rules that even I must follow. I can bring warriors back many times as long as it is into battle. But specific individuals are different. I will do this for you, but you cannot ask again, what you need to say to her must be said now. I will keep her here for as long as I can for you."

With teary eyes he took hold of you hand and squeezed tight. "Thank you (Y/n)."

"Sit on the floor Bucky and close your eyes, I need you to hold my hands and think of your mother for me." You instruct.

He does as you ask and he holds your hands tightly as you concentrate on his thoughts and memories of his mother. Your eyes turned white and slowly the apparition of Bucky's mother appeared on the floor next to him.

"Bucky there's someone here to see you." You said softly as he opened his eyes and you smiled at him; you motioned towards the person sitting next to him; he stared, mouth wide open as a single word came from his lips.

"Mom?!"

You watched the pair talk for the next few hours. Bucky told her everything that has happened, about HYDRA, the Winter Soldier and how he has killed people. When he has finished, she leaned over and kissed her son on the forehead. "James, you're a good man, that other person wasn't you sweetheart. You'll always be my son; I'll always be proud of you and no matter what I'll always love you." With another kiss to his forehead she disappeared.

With his Mother's words still ringing in his ears, all the years of pain released themselves and Bucky burst into tears, weeping like a lost child. Rising from the floor he threw himself into your arms, holding on tight, seeming to fear that if he were to loosen his grip on you, you would disappear just like his mother's ghost. Between sobs he thanked you and buried himself further into your chest. Neither of you moved, both staying that way until the sun slowly rose. Finally, you helped him back to his room where he fell onto his bed exhausted, falling into a heavy sleep.

That night, to your surprise, Bucky came to your room again and told you all about his and Steve's life in the 40s, you couldn't understand why but he seemed to want to be close to you, and there was no way that you were going to complain. He told you all about the Howling Commandos and their exploits, spending the night laughing about Steve in particular.

You awoke the next morning in your bed even though you couldn't remember how you got there. As you tried to move, you felt a heavy weight across your waist, slowly you turned to see that it is Bucky laying behind you. Could this really be true? Could the man you've always had a crush on really be in your bed?

Transforming into your phantom self so that you didn't disturb the sleeping soldier, you slowly drifted through his arm. As you turned to face him you couldn't help but smile at his beautiful features, and a look of peace on his face that you had never seen before. His eyes suddenly flickered open as your hand gently brushed against his cheek.

"I'm sorry I haven't been much of a friend to you all this time, I suppose that I was just scared of what you can do." He said in a gruff morning voice that made you weak at the knees.

"There's nothing to apologise for Bucky, most people are scared of me, I'm used to it." You reply, giving him a small smile.

"Well (Y/n) I'm not scared of you anymore. What you have given me these past nights has made me feel happier than I have been in a very, very long time. Your gift is amazing, you are amazing, I'm just sorry it took me so long to see it." Taking your hand from his cheek, he pulled you gently back onto the bed as his lips met yours in the most loving, passionate kiss you had ever had.

"(Y/n), I'm going to spend the rest of my life showing you how truly beautiful, important and special you are. It has taken me too long to admit that I love you, I have from the first moment I saw you. You bringing my mother back showed me how much you care for me too, am I right?" He asked anxiously as his beautiful blue eyes stared into yours.

"Bucky, I've loved you since I stepped foot in the compound." You say, as you place another kiss to his lips.

"Does that mean you'll be my special girl, doll?" He asked giving you a broad smile.

"I thought you'd never ask soldier."

"I promise you that you won't regret it doll." He said as he pulled you back under the covers before both of you drift back off to sleep.