Overlord - Part 2 - Barney x Reader

(Y/n) stood alone, looking out into the dark French skies as the rest of the team sat around the fire; all of them glad that they had survived the day, and apart from a few cuts and Toll and Galgo being grazed by bullets from enemy guns, they had come through it virtually unscathed. The day had been as successful as anyone could have hoped for, the forth Division had only endured 197 casualties, they had cleared the beach and immediate area in less than an hour of the landings, and now they along with The Expendables were 6 miles in land.

"(Y/n) darlin, you ok?" Barney asked, coming to stand behind her, his hand cautiously resting on her shoulder.

(Y/n) thought that she had seen many things before, thought that she had seen a lot of life; but nothing could have prepared her for what she had seen. Even though the casualties had been considered low, the sight of the bodies of men that she knew was not something that she had been truly able to prepare for; but she knew that their job was only just about to begin, and there would probably be a lot more bodies before this war was over. Now that they were in France, the boys job was to get (Y/n) to the German General by any means possible, and she would have to use every ounce of training that the OSS had given her to achieve their goal.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Barney, just thinking." (Y/n) said, as she turned around to face the big man, her hand gently cupping his cheek as her thumb brushed softly over the fresh cuts on his skin.

"We have a long way to go, and I just don't want to mess up, I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you or one of the boys because of me." (Y/n) told Barney, looking over towards the rest of the team who were trying to cook up what meagre rations they had with them.

"You ain't gonna mess up (Y/n), this is what you were trained for, and me and the guys are all big enough and ugly enough to look after ourselves; nothing is gonna happen to any of us." Barney said, trying to reassure and obviously highly apprehensive (Y/n).

"Captain Ross, Lieutenant (Y/l/n)?" A man asked, coming up behind the two as they continued to talk.

"The General would like to see you." The young corporal said, saluting to the pair as he gestured for them to follow.

"Ah, Captain, Lieutenant, been one hell of a day hasn't it?" The General said as (Y/n) and Barney saluted the superior officer.

"So, we have retrieved your equipment that was dropped with the paratroopers this morning, I can't say that I am a fan of your mission Lieutenant, but a gentleman called Church has seemingly insisted that it is imperative that this German General be taken back safely to England. We have found a staff car and troop carrier that you can use, they are not in the best condition, but from what I've been told, you have a certain talent with machinery, Lieutenant. Once you leave the main group I can't offer you any support, I need every man I have so you will be on your own; I can only wish you and your team the best of luck and good fortune Lieutenant, just know that the rest of us are right behind you. Now, corporal Andrews here will show you to your gear, and then the vehicles you need. Good fortune." The General told the two, saluting to them before he turned back to study a large map that was spread out on a makeshift table.

Following the young corporal, (Y/n) couldn't help but hope that all their equipment had landed, and also that their mission was not going to end up getting them shot by the allies by mistake, or by the Nazis, as spies; it was never going to be an easy mission, (Y/n) knew that when she took it on, but now they were here, and the reality of it hit, the whole thing had taken on a new urgency.

"These are your bags, ma'am, and the staff car and truck are just over by that building." The corporal said, pointing over to the nose of the Mercedes that poked out from behind the corner of the tumbled down building.