I Love You - Expendables - Toll Road x Reader

Toll looked down at the woman that was in the hospital bed as he held onto her hand, fearing that if he let it go, he would lose her forever. How could he have let this happen? Despite how strong, brave, and skilled (Y/n) was, he had promised himself that he would always protect her, yet here she was, on the verge of death, machines beeping, tubes going into her, drips filled with god knows what, slowly making their way into her pale body.

He should never have let Barney make her take point, he should have made sure that he kept her by his side; but he knew that (Y/n) would have insisted, getting annoyed at him if he had told her that she couldn't. It was after all her job, she was the teams sniper, she was quicker and smaller than anyone else on the team; she could run faster than any of them, scouting ahead to make sure that it was safe for the rest of the team.

(Y/n) would always come back, reporting straight to Barney, letting him know what was ahead; but this time, she hadn't.

The mission had seemed simple; go in, retrieve a hard drive, and fly home, but there was one thing that Church hadn't told them, and that was that they weren't the only ones that wanted the hard drive. Unknown to any of them, some big Ukrainian mafia boss was also after the same thing, and had hired some psychotic thugs, with a liking for sadism, to help him obtain it.

As they had got to where (Y/n) should have been waiting, they instead found a video camera on a tripod with a sign on it that told them to press play. As Barney had pressed the button, the teams eyes had grown wide as they saw their sniper on her knees, her hands tied behind her back, and her face already showing signs that the men on either side of her had begun to beat her.

As they demanded the hard drive, telling the team that if it was not delivered it to them then the woman would die; (Y/n) had screamed and shouted, telling Barney not to do it, telling the boys to take the hard drive and leave, calling the man all manner of profanities as she told them that she would rather die than let their boss get his hands on the sensitive material. The team had watched as (Y/n) tried to struggle to her feet, to try and kick the men, to try and escape; but as she did, one of the men had grabbed her gun, hitting her with the rifles stock so hard, that she fell to the floor, as limp as a rag doll.

When the recording finished, all eyes fell on Toll, who was struggling to comprehend what was happening. He and (Y/n) had been together for a while, though for quite some time their relationship had been kept quiet from the rest of the team, it wasn't until Caesar discovered their secret, and teased the pair about it until the two had confessed, that the others found out. Not that anyone minded, Toll struggled with romantic involvements, but with (Y/n) he seemed to have found someone he could love and could love him; and Barney was happy as long as it didn't affect the team.

The process of finding (Y/n) and getting her back had been long and hard; the team had had to shoot their way out of one situation after another, until they found the men that they were after were hauled up in some old World War II bunker; after what had felt like an hour long gun battle, the team had scouted the bunker, eventually finding (Y/n) half beaten, and on the verge of death with a large knife wound in her gut, as she bled out onto the dirty cement floor.

Toll and Doc had taken her body, rushing it as quickly as they could to the nearest small town, eventually stitching her as best he could, Doc had stabilised her, watching as Toll held her hand, talking to her softly, as the two waited for the rest of the team to turn up.

Now, here they were, back Stateside, yet (Y/n) was still to wake up, and Toll was still to leave her side.

"How's she doing?" Barney asked, his voice bringing Toll back from his thoughts as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

"No change." Toll said softly, gently brushing a few stray hairs back behind her ear.

"I remember the first time I saw her." Toll said, his eyes never leaving (Y/n).

"You introduced her to the team, and then we went to the bar; she started playing darts with Doc and Christmas, and she laughed when she beat them, both of them shouting that they wanted a rematch. I couldn't take my eyes off her, she was so beautiful. On our first date, she played this old Nat King Cole song as we danced around her apartment, and I realised that I had never met anyone like her before. She never teases me for my self help books, or my cauliflower ears, and she has told me so many times that she loves me, but I've never been brave enough to tell her, and now I might never get the chance." Toll said, bringing (Y/n)'s hand up to his lips so that he could kiss it.

Barney looked at the pair, he knew Toll could be rather unpredictable, and given his avoidant personality disorder Barney knew how difficult relationships could be for him; but he had seen the difference (Y/n) had made to Toll's life, and Barney wasn't sure how it would affect Toll if (Y/n) died.

Barney looked outside, motioning for Caesar to come in.

"Why don't you let Caesar take you for something to eat, you haven't eaten properly in days. Me and the boys will look after (Y/n)." Barney said, as Caesar took (Y/n)'s hands from Toll's and helped him outside.

It was true that all the boys had a hard exterior, but there wasn't one of them that didn't have a good heart, especially when it came to one of their own, and Toll and (Y/n) were family.

"Hey Dahlin." Barney said, taking the seat that Toll had just vacated.

Christmas pulling up a chair next to Barney, as the rest of the boys stood around the bed.

"Ok kid, I'll make you a deal; not one of us will mention Toll's cauliflower ears ever again, if ya wake up." Barney said, trying to lighten the heavy mood that was all pervasive in the room.

"Yeah, we promise that not even Caesar will do it." Christmas chuckled, looking up at the rest of the team who all had their eyes on the woman they viewed as a little sister.

Without warning, the machines around (Y/n) sprung into life, alarms screaming out as nurses and doctors rushed into the room, the team  forced out.

"Toll, I think you better come back now!" Doc said, finally finding the small cafeteria that Caesar had dragged the reluctant Toll to.

Toll sprung to his feet, racing back to (Y/n)'s room, mentally beating himself up for ever leaving her side. As he got to the room, he saw the flurry of activity as the staff ran around behind the screen that they had used pulled around the bed. Toll tried to get into the room, frantic to see the woman he loved one last time; but before he could fight his way inside, a doctor walked out, pulling the latex gloves from his hands.

"Which one of you is Toll?" The doctor asked, looking at the group of men.

"Me." Toll said, stepping forward.

"Well, the lady would like to see you." The doctor told a wide eyed Toll, as he opened the door to let him inside.

"Hey handsome." (Y/n) said, her voice quiet and hoarse because of the tube that had just been extracted.

"Pleased to see me?" (Y/n) asked, as she tiredly reached out her hand for Toll to take.

"Are you kidding. I thought I'd got rid of you." Toll said, leaning over to kiss (Y/n) on the forehead, as he took a seat next to her, squeezing her hand tightly.

"Nah, you ain't that lucky." (Y/n) said, grimacing as she tried to get comfortable.

"I thought I'd lost you honey, I thought that I wouldn't get to tell you that I love you." Toll said, looking down as her fingers intertwined with his.

"Well, why don't you tell me now?" (Y/n) asked, reaching over and raising Toll's head so that he was looking at her.

"(Y/f/n) (Y/l/n) I love you!" Toll told her, watching as a beautiful bright smile came to her lips.

"And I love you to big guy." (Y/n) said, as Toll leaned over and kissed her softly on the lips.

It might have taken nearly losing her, but from now on, Toll would never stop reminding (Y/n) that he loved her.