▼ Hyperthymesia ▼

Hyperthymesia is an ability that allows people to remember nearly every event of their life with great precision. People may also refer to it as highly superior autobiographical memory (HSAM).

》People with HSAM process short-term memories the same way as most people do. But researchers have found that, unlike most people, the accuracy and detail of memories improve over time in people with HSAM.

》People with HSAM can often remember things that happened when they were small children. But memories of events that occurred after the ages of about 10 or 12 are more vivid and detailed.

》Some researchers have noted that individuals with HASAM share some characteristics with people who have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). For example, they may demonstrate obsessive tendencies.

》To date, only a small number of people have been diagnosed with HSAM. Research is growing, as scientists hope to learn more about the ways circuitry in our brains processes memory.

The type of memory associated with HSAM may be called autobiographical memory or eidetic memory. People with this type of memory recall events, images, dates — even conversations — in minute detail. And they're able to summon these memories effortlessly.

》It's not understood why some people have HSAM. By taking images of the brain, though, researchers have noticed that some parts of the brain structure of people with HSAM are different than those of people who have typical memory function.
However, it's not known if these differences caused the HSAM or if they occurred because of the person's greater use of areas of the brain associated with memory.

Diagnosing HSAM:

Scientists use brain imaging tests such as MRIs and electroencephalograms to diagnose and study memory in people with HSAM.
Tests are also done to help measure memory. One of the most common is the autobiographical memory test.

If you are diagnosed with HSAM, your doctor will work with you to develop a management plan.
Although HSAM doesn't carry any physical side effects or complications, it can be mentally exhausting to absorb and store so much information. Your doctor can advise you on coping mechanisms and answer any questions you may have.