▲ Narcolepsy ▲

Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that makes people very drowsy during the day. Your brain can't control your ability to sleep or stay awake. People with narcolepsy find it hard to stay awake for long periods of time. They fall asleep suddenly. This can cause serious problems in their daily routine.

》There are two main types of narcolepsy, and whether or not you have cataplexy separates the two. The two types are:

Narcolepsy type 1: This form involves cataplexy. About 20% of narcolepsy cases are type 1.

Narcolepsy type 2: This form doesn't involve cataplexy. The majority of narcolepsy cases — about 80% — are type 2.

》In rare cases, narcolepsy can happen because of damage to your hypothalamus. You can have this kind of damage from head injuries (such as concussions and traumatic brain injuries), strokes, brain tumors and other conditions.

Symptoms

The symptoms of narcolepsy may get worse during the first few years of the disorder. Then they continue for life. They include:

Excessive daytime sleepiness. People with narcolepsy fall asleep without warning. It can happen anywhere and at any time. It may happen when you're bored or during a task.

Sleep paralysis. People with narcolepsy often experience sleep paralysis. During sleep paralysis, you can't move or speak while falling asleep or upon waking. It's usually brief — lasting a few seconds or minutes.

Sudden loss of muscle tone. This condition is called cataplexy. It can cause slurred speech or complete weakness of most muscles. Symptoms may last up to a few minutes.

The causes of narcolepsy depend on the type of narcolepsy itself. However, they all have links to your hypothalamus, a specific area in your brain that helps regulate your sleep and wake times.

Narcolepsy is treatable but not curable. Treatments usually start with medications, but changes to your daily routine and lifestyle can also help. In general, narcolepsy responds well to treatment, which helps limit the disruptions that symptoms can cause.

You shouldn't try to self-diagnose and self-treat narcolepsy. That's because the symptoms of this condition happen commonly with other conditions like sleep apnea or epilepsy, which are also dangerous. This condition can also make certain activities like driving or swimming dangerous, so you should always see a healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment.