▼ God Complex ▼

》A complex is a core pattern of emotions, memories, perceptions, and wishes in the personal unconscious organized around a common theme, such as power or status.

》A God complex is a pattern in which an individual believes they have great power, ability, infallibility, influence, and are superior to others. It often refers to behaviors associated with narcissistic personality disorder or mania.

》A God complex is not a diagnosable disorder. It is merely a symptom or personality trait adopted by someone with narcissistic personality disorder. Because of that, the DSM-5 doesn't recognize it as its own entity but rather as a manifestation of narcissistic personality disorder.

》There are two primary types of narcissistic personality disorder: vulnerable and grandiose. People with a God complex typically have grandiose narcissistic personality disorder.

》If someone possesses the following, they may have a God complex:

A high sense of entitlement

Controlling or jealous behavior

Inability to accept or handle criticism

Believing they are always the most intelligent person in the room and rejecting other people's opinions or thoughts

Feeling as though they are invincible and as if no one could come close to their superiority

Blatantly ignoring the needs of others as they see fit in the pursuit of having their needs met

A disregard for others' feelings concerning their harmful actions

》People with a God complex are likely to experience feelings of superiority over others. Because they see themselves as better than others, they are likely to display behaviors such as:

Overconfidence: People with a God complex overestimate their abilities. They see others as less than and, therefore, are unlikely to consult others when making decisions. This can lead to less accurate decision-making and unfavorable outcomes.

High-self esteem: Having a God complex goes hand in hand with high self-esteem. People see themselves in a better light than they do others.

Externalization: When someone with a God complex makes a mistake, or something does not turn out as planned, they blame others for the consequences. They do not see their shortcomings and assume that someone else must be to blame if something goes wrong.

Driven to leadership roles: People with God complexes see themselves as more attuned to the world and better at taking charge, so they tend toward leadership and management roles in their careers. They like to have superiority over others because they believe they are the best for the job. This can often lead to issues within the workplace.

Exploitation tendencies: Having a God complex can lead to a person using others for personal gain. They are less inclined to care about how their decisions or actions affect others as long as they are able to get what they want.

Superiority: Those with a God complex believe themselves to be superior to all others and are likely to see others as less able than they are in all regards.

Difficulty maintaining relationships: Since people with God complexes see themselves as better than others, including their partners, it can be hard for them to maintain healthy relationships.

》The exact cause of a God complex isn't known, partly because it is not a diagnosable disorder. It is often a symptom of narcissistic personality disorder. There is also no known cause of narcissistic personality disorder.

》Most of the factors associated with the development of narcissistic personality disorder occur during childhood development. They include:

Abuse or trauma

Hearing excessive praise consistently

Unreliable authority figures, such as parents or guardians

Rarely hearing no or getting everything they ask for during childhood

Growing up in an environment that lacks authentic validation

》The good news is that people can outgrow or heal from having a God complex if they seek treatment from a mental health professional. Some tips for overcoming a God complex include:

Learning about the behaviors associated with the complex and addressing them head-on

Seeking out professional help to treat NPD and its symptoms, including grandiose notions of self, if the complex is present with the disorder

Learning techniques to manage emotions and feelings toward others

Establishing a support system