▼ Schizotypal Personality Disorder ▼

Schizotypal personality disorder (STPD) is a mental health condition marked by a consistent pattern of intense discomfort with close relationships and social interactions. If you have STPD, you may have distorted views of reality, superstitions and unusual behaviors. Your relationships are likely hindered by these symptoms.

》Schizotypal personality disorder is one of a group of conditions called "Cluster A" personality disorders, which involve unusual and eccentric thinking or behaviors.

》People with schizotypal personality disorder typically display unusual behavior, odd speech and magical beliefs. You might not realize your behavior is unusual or problematic.
Some people with schizotypal personality disorder later develop schizophrenia.

》If you have schizotypal personality disorder, you may:

Have intense social anxiety and poor social relationships.

Not have close friends or confidants, except for first-degree relatives.

Have peculiar behaviors and mannerisms.

Have odd thoughts and speech, such as using excessively abstract or concrete phrases or using phrases or words in unusual ways.

Have unusual perceptive experiences and magical beliefs, such as thinking they have special paranormal powers.

Incorrectly interpret ordinary situations or happenings as having special meaning for them (idea of reference).

Be paranoid and suspicious of others' intentions.

Have difficulty with responding appropriately to social cues, such as maintaining eye contact.

Have a lack of motivation and underachieve in educational and work settings.

A person with STPD generally lacks awareness about how their thoughts and behaviors impact others.

Personality disorders, including schizotypal personality disorder, are among the least understood mental health conditions. Researchers are still trying to figure out the exact cause of them, but believe they develop due to several factors.

》People with schizotypal personality disorder may have odd beliefs or superstitions. They have trouble forming close relationships and tend to distort reality. In this way, schizotypal personality disorder can seem like a mild form of schizophrenia, a serious brain disorder that distorts the way a person thinks, acts, expresses emotions, perceives reality, and relates to others.

Researchers think the cause of schizotypal personality disorder (STPD) is mainly biological and genetic because it shares many of the brain changes characteristic of schizophrenia. STPD is also more common among biological relatives of people with schizophrenia or Cluster A personality disorders, which suggests a genetic link.

》Personality disorders, including schizotypal personality disorder, can be difficult to diagnose since most people with a personality disorder don't think there's a problem with their behavior or way of thinking and don't think they need to change their behavior.

When they do seek help, it's often due to co-existing conditions, such as anxiety or depression, not the disorder itself. Rates of these two mental health conditions are particularly high among people with schizotypal personality disorder.

》Because a person suspected of having schizotypal personality disorder may lack insight into their behaviors, mental health professionals often work with the person's family and friends to collect more details about their behaviors and history.

》Psychotherapy (talk therapy) and low-dose antipsychotic (neuroleptic) medication are the main treatment options for schizotypal personality disorder.

If left untreated, the prognosis (outlook) for schizotypal personality disorder (STPD) is generally poor. It's very common for people with STPD to have other mental health conditions, including:

Social anxiety disorder.
Depression.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Substance use disorder

It's essential that people with STPD receive treatment for these conditions.

》While schizotypal personality disorder generally can't be prevented, treating this condition can help you learn ways to alter unhelpful behaviors and thoughts if you're prone to this condition.