▲ Basiphobia ▲

The fear of falling or Basiphobia is known by different names like Basophobia, falling phobia, walking phobia, standing phobia etc. It is closely related to other phobias such as Ambulophobia or Stasibasiphobia or Stasiphobia which is the fear of walking or standing, Bathmophobia which is the fear of stairs or steep slopes and Barophobia which is the fear of loss of gravity.

》In extreme cases of Basiphobia, the individual refuses to walk or move. They experience an anxiety attack each time one is faced with idea of walking.

》Causes of fear of falling phobia

A person experiencing the extreme fear of falling has either been injured or immobilized due to an accident or disease. Even though the body is healed, the mind of the phobic continues to lack confidence.

Apart from traumatic experiences, an individual might also develop Basiphobia due to heredity or genetic predispositions.

A disabled wheelchair bound person might have seen another disabled individual trying to stand up and subsequently fall which can also instill a deep fear in the observer's mind.

Fear of bone demineralization, recent paralysis attack etc can also lead to Basophobia. 

Advertisements for emergency alarm devices (made for the elderly) often depict old people who have fallen and are unable to get up. This can instill a fear in the minds of an older person living alone especially if s/he is prone to anxiety or is 'high strung'

People of all age groups can develop this phobia. It is common in individuals working in construction industries or even in sports professionals where one might have faced a debilitating injury while on scaffoldings placed at a great height or during a game.

》Symptoms of Basiphobia

Many patients understand that their fear is irrational but they are completely powerless to overcome it.

Anxiety symptoms include shaking, trembling crying, sweating, grasping for something to hold on to, panic attacks etc.

displays anxiety, irritability and anger towards family or loved ones who encourage them to walk.

Other physical symptoms are rapid heart rate, shallow breathing, chest pains and palpitations. The individual tries to use these excuses to avoid walking or standing.

Many patients end up being bedridden due to their condition and as a result may be unable to use the bathroom or do other necessary tasks

》The following are some signs that it's time to have a discussion with a healthcare provider:

A significant increase in fearfulness.

A slow or cautious walk or gait.

Discomfort engaging in activities you used to enjoy.

A wider gait.

Reduced head movement.

Overcoming Basiphobia

Physiotherapy is the most effective solution to overcome the fear of standing or walking. Other mental therapies include talk therapy, counseling, and CBT or cognitive behavior therapy which can be used in combination with physical therapy.

Many drugs and medications can also be taken to overcome anxiety linked with this condition.

Hypnotherapy can also help get to the bottom of the fear to help the individual relearn 'responding' to his/her fear.

Family and loved ones play an important role in encouraging and boosting the confidence and morale of the person experiencing such a fear.