▼ Overthinking ▼

Overthinking is very common and may be caused by self-doubt; self-esteem issues; concern about repeating past patterns in relation to prior bad experiences; traumatic experiences; or anxiety

Overthinking comes in two forms; ruminating about the past and worrying about the future.

》It's different than problem-solving. Problem-solving involves thinking about a solution. Overthinking involves dwelling on the problem.

》Overthinking involves dwelling on how bad you feel and thinking about all the things you have no control over.

Worriers tend to think their worry is actually a good thing even though it's so distressing, helping them to prepare for the worst and aiding them in problem solving, according to Research Digest's breakdown of the review.

》A study from the U.K. discovered that when certain parts of your brain and cognitive processes are quiet, you're more creative. Overthinking — which can lead to a "mental rut," as the study notes — can essentially cause you to get stuck and run out of ideas or new solutions. (Less creative)

》Lots of over-thinkers struggle with falling asleep, shuffling through thoughts rather than shutting down and getting some shut-eye.

Overthinking can have a profound impact on people's appetites. For some, it can suppress appetite, and for others, it can boost it — which is more common.

》Here are signs that you're an overthinker:

I relive embarrassing moments in my head repeatedly.

Constantly Criticizing Yourself

I have trouble sleeping because it feels like my brain won't shut off.

I ask myself a lot of "what if..." questions.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the hidden meaning in things people say or events that happen.

Over-planning

I rehash conversations I had with people in my mind and think about all the things I wished I had or hadn't said.

I constantly relive my mistakes.

Asking for Reassurance

When someone says or acts in a way I don't like, I keep replaying it in my mind.

Having Trouble Making Decisions

Sometimes I'm not aware of what's going on around me because I'm dwelling on things that happened in the past or worrying about things that might happen in the future.
Spacing Out/Getting Distant

Canceling Plans

I spend a lot of time worrying about things I have no control over.

Apologizing for No Reason

Asking the Same Question Over and Over...

I can't get my mind off my worries.

》Overthinking makes it harder to enjoy life and can impact emotional regulation

》Some ways to over come overthinking:

Challenge Your Thoughts

Keep The Focus On Active Problem-Solving

Notice When You're Thinking Too Much

Mindfulness generally refers to a cognitive state of awareness of the present and a mindset that allows you to process information and experiences in a non-judgmental manner. Just allow the emotions to settle then eventually pass without giving into them.

Huttman recommends concentrating on other things like reading, work, or hobbies. If you've got too much free time on your hands, sit down and come up with ways to fill it.

It may sound odd, but for some, scheduling a time to worry every day and then trying to not allow themselves to worry for the rest of the day works. You're getting it out of your system, you could say.

Writing down your worries and concerns can be therapeutic. Writing down your feelings reduces mental distress, anxiety, and perceived stress; and leads to greater perceived personal resilience and social integration

Challenge your thought process and give it a name so you can catch yourself in the process of overthinking and increase your awareness of it," Huttman recommends.

Acknowledge the Relationship Between Feelings and Thoughts

Practice Self-Reflection

Self-reflection means practicing "careful thought about your own behavior and beliefs," according to Merriam-Webster.