▲ Reading ▲

Reading is perhaps one of the healthiest hobbies

Our minds go through an entire array of thoughts, feelings, and emotions while we read. There are also numerous background activities going on in the brain while we read that enhance literary experiences and can have both short and long-term effects on the reader.

》Researchers have confirmed that reading is a stress-reducing activity that can lower your heart rate and blood pressure.

》Studies have found that reading a narrative can cause changes in the brain, not only while participating in the activity but in resting-state connectivity, too.

》When we read, neurons in this area of the brain activate to create a sensation of not just reading about the action of the book, but experiencing the sensations it is describing.

Reading uses 7 areas of the brain, including visual and auditory processes, phonemic awareness, fluency, comprehension, and more.

Reading gives us the opportunity to learn from someone else's perspective. This can not only educate us, but also allow us to relate and empathize. Interestingly enough, this point has been proven true for fiction, not just non-fiction reading materials. According to MHFA England, "People who read fiction have been shown to improve your level of empathy, the ability for you to understand someone else's belief's, feelings and thoughts.

》In addition to helping improve your memory in general, reading can prevent Altzheimers

Reading 6 mins a day relieves stress by 68%

》A study by the National Endowment for the arts concluded that reading makes you more engaged throughout life, taking advantage of any activities that may spring up during your life.

Reading expands your vocabulary extensively

》A study done by the University of Buffalo has concluded that fictional story lines opens you up to new emotions and feelings. It also helps you to empathize with people, by understanding different cultures.

》The studies have shown that adults who regularly read fiction are more likely to engage in charity and volunteer work.