25

the two boys sat in complete silence, taking in the beautiful scenery from the safety of the prince's bedroom window. every now and then, they'd catch the other throwing a glance in their direction, quickly shifting their eyes back to the blue skies that lay just beyond the glass.

too awkward to talk, too quiet to breathe, too nervous to look.

they sat in silence for what felt like an eternity.

"hey, uh, seungkwan, right?"

"y-yeah..."

"is this... something you do often?"

"what do you mean by 'this'?"

"like, stare out the window? is this your special place in the palace- your bedroom?"

seungkwan fiddled with his pale fingers that had gone cold a while ago, whilst trying to string together the right thing to say. "well, no... i don't really have a special place i guess..."

the brunette boy nodded quietly, not really knowing how to proceed with such a dead-end response. 

"well, what do you like to do when you have free time?" the pink-haired boy asked, his eyes still glued to the blue sky that glimmered just outside the window. 

"i uh- i like music. i have a bunch of cd's and records at home, do you uh-" vernon's eyes left the window and glanced around the fae's room until he caught a glance of the walls. "you like music too, i see?"

seungkwan glanced over to the brunette and followed his gaze, until he realized that he was looking at the walls. "oh! uh- i - yes! i like music a lot..."

the brunette got up from the bed and walked up to the wall seungkwan's bed was placed against, trailing his fingers across the lyrics etched neatly into it. "céline dion, whitney houston, beyoncé, hamilton: the musical... the list just goes on!" he marvelled at the diversity of music that graced the walls, each one carved in so neatly you would've thought it was wallpaper if you didn't pay attention.

the fae got up and stood up next to vernon, gazing lovingly at each mark made in the wall. "music is a very interesting thing to me. it has no face, no eyes, no life... yet it's the most alive thing i could ever think of. music, it transcends looks, language, race..." the boy looked up to the boy beside him, his pink eyes catching the hazel ones of the imanity that stood next to hi. "music makes you feel things, with or without words."

the boys stared at each other for a while.

vernon noticed the complexities of the eyes he gazed into. he noticed the pink silver specs that floated around, the pink hues that seemed to reflect the light like a beautiful piece of silk. vernon noticed the soft pink strands of hair that covered his forehead. the pale skin that had soft freckles if you looked close enough.

there was a way  seungkwan never brought much attention to the colour brown. brown. it was the colour of something mundane, something neutral, something... bleh. but not this. not anymore. the pink haired boy found an appreciation for the colour brown, and the way it highlighted the light that bounced off the imanity's eyes, the way it melted like honey in the sunlight. the way he's never liked the colour brown, but now felt his cheeks tint at the sight of it. if only he could find the words that could explain-

"so what do you wanna do?-"

"you're beautiful-"

"what?-"

"what?-"

the silence crept in once more, and the two shy boys stared back at each other trying to find the perfect words that could kill the elephant in the room. 

"i'm sorry, i have a bit of a problem with blurting out whatever i feel, feelings in general are a little bit hard-"

"it's fine, whatever. so, as i was saying, what do you wanna do?"

there was a pounding that echoed through seungkwan's body, a mix of his anxiety as well as this unsourced aggression that bubbled from his heart that made him want to clench his jaw. 

seungkwan; sweet, loving, soft seungkwan, never clenched his jaw.

this was a sign. sometimes seungkwan couldn't tell what feelings were his, and what feelings he picked up from the people around him. there were some things that just weren't him, or feelings that he couldn't identify as his own, or couldn't identify in general. that's when he knew his power kicked in.

seungkwan was tender in nature, a very sweet being. things like anger, aggression and spite were against his core values. when he unclenched his jaw, his bottom lip popped out in the form of a small pout. he didn't like the anger, and he didn't like that it stemmed from something he said.

"i'm sorry if i said something to offend you, vernon..."

"what gave you that idea?" the brunette huffed, his eyes grazing over the lyrics on the wall as opposed to the fae in front of him.

"w-well..." seungkwan stuttered, afraid of the wrong words slipping out, "i can feel it, it's hard to explain... but i know how you feel."

vernon turned around and looked down at the fae, the glint in his eyes flickering between anger and pain. "we're cool, it's fine."

waves of sadness and flares of frustration. this feeling was very familiar to seungkwan. he's felt this from his brothers before, and realized a while ago that it was a very common combination of emotions for all kinds of people.

"please..." seungkwan mumbled, his head hung so low that his baby pink bangs fell over his face. "please don't lie to me. if you're not okay, let's just talk it out. okay?" he nibbled his lip softly, trying to fix the stale air he created between the two of them.

"i already said we're chill, let it go seungkwan." vernon bit down on every syllable, walking toward the door. he swung the door open and glanced back at the sullen pink boy, "i bet they want us back now, i'm gonna head back."

before the fae had a chance to slip a word in, the brunette was gone. his pink bangs fell over the eyes that started to slowly well up. he lifted a finger  to dab the lone tear away.

"this sadness...

is it vernon's...

or mine?..."

☯︎

hello everyone!

i've been on a maaaaaaaaaajor hiatus, and i'm so sorry about that :(

with school and the winter semester, i felt too tired and stressed to write, and i didn't want all those factors making the story worse. i still have spring courses to attend to, but hopefully the summer will be the time for me to push out some content :))

this chapter is really short but im gonna make you guys SWEAT for verkwan hehehe

as always, i love you all and i hope you're as excited for the pleia updates that are soon to come.

thank you for the unending support, it means the world to me ♡

until the next time, lovelies ❤︎