28

what are the words that can convey years of silent yearning?

what are the words that can rebuild a broken bridge?

what are the words that can turn back the hands of time?

"do you like it here?"

"i do, it's much prettier here than i could've ever imagined it to be."

"what... what have you been doing all these years?" the lilac-haired boy asked quietly, his gaze off far into the distance.

they sat in jeonghan's room, a grand yet cozy space. seungcheol compared it the all-white atmosphere of woozi's bedroom, which was still comfy but not at all like this. jeonghan's room was filled with flowers and plants, his walls plastered with mirrors of all sizes and styles. jeonghan noticed how the light that poured in from the windows hit each mirror and reflected softly onto the plants. his king sized bed was made of a dark wood, his sheets a soft silver colour that begged you to touch them.

seungcheol sighed so hard he was barely left with any breath.

"i've uh, i've been taking care of my family. going to school, writing some music, paying for bills... i've been doing normal people stuff. what about you?"

the fae smiled weakly, "normal people stuff, huh? i wonder what that feels like. i dealt with my parents until they died, then i had to step up to the crown prince position. the king-to-be, the next ruler. i- i feel like time goes by so slowly, yet passes so fast. i don't know, maybe that's just the royal life."

"it's not just a royal life thing y'know."

something lingered in the air that made the boys feel on edge, like they needed to hold their breath. the silence between them as they sat on the bed, their eyes caught on anything in the room that wasn't the other.

his pale fingers reached up to play with his long lilac hair, "what... what do you mean by that?"

"i mean," seungcheol started, turning on the mattress so he could see the future king, "i mean i waited so long for this moment." 

his fingers grazed upon the silvery sheets to meet with jeonghan's. "i waited, and dreamed and almost started to convince myself that you were just a figment of my imagination. i can't begin to imagine the things that run through your head, and all the problems you face that i will never be able to relate to... but i'm here, and that is already so amazing."

"seungcheol, can i ask you a question?" the boy asked softly, his eyes locked on their hands that seemed to fit perfectly.

"of course."

"am i- am i pretty?"

"that's silly question, you already know i think you're beautiful."

"but am i fit to be a king?" he snapped back, getting up from the bed in one large movement. "i think about all the lives that i'm about to be responsible for. i think about the safety of my brothers. but then... but then-" he continued, his hands reaching up to his head and pulling at his soft locks by the root. he looked around his room, catching each reflection in the scattered mirrors upon his wall. a mix of worry, guilt and shame rolled into his gaze that followed him no matter where he looked. "there are so many eyes on me that i'm starting to lose it."

tears rolled down jeonghan's cheeks, his eyes wide and gazing into nothingness. his fingers tugging so hard at his hair the imanity was scared he would really pull it out. seungcheol jumped up from the bed, pulling the winged boy into his arms, his heart somewhere between sunken and broken, seeing the person he cares about so on edge.