14

this chapter gets a little graphic, scenes with physical and verbal abuse are present. please proceed with caution lovelies! 

~ years ago ~

"but hyung... you promised  you'd play with me!"

"i know, but i can't today. mother and father said i need to work on my control today..."

"mother and father have been saying that every single day! that's so unfair... i want to play with you!"

"maybe today they'll let me out early, and we can play tonight. how does that sound?"

"alright... fine. good luck! hopefully today you'll master your powers and we can play tonight!"

"thanks! see you later~"

"bye seungkwan hyung! i love you!"

"i love you too, dino."

dino was bored, he wanted to play with everyone but was never allowed to. every single one of his older brothers had to practice honing in on their powers, while dino wasn't even sure what his was.

*meow*

'there you are, ai...' dino thought to himself.

dino had been taking care of a cat. it wasn't just a cat though. this black cat, whom dino decided to name 'ai', would appear and disappear all the time. it was made of tightly bound thread, unravelling and winding back together at it's will. ai's beady red eyes could be felt by dino no matter where he went. some days, ai would just appear and then vanish without a sound. other days, ai would run around and try to lead dino around the castle.

there was an oddity about dino's relationship with ai. when ai would really want dino to follow, it would leave a small trail of thread behind it. this thread could be felt on dino's fingertips, as if it were bound to him. on the rare occasion that ai would lead dino by this thread, he was most likely jumping into trouble.

today was one of those days.

*meow*

dino turned around to meet eyes with ai, smiling at the cat. "hey ai, what's up?" ai then turned around and pounced away, turning a corner of the castle. 'well okay bye...' he thought to himself, until he felt a tug on his fingers.

"ah man, where are we going ai?" dino mumbled to himself, following his cat.

dino cocked his head to the side as the thread led him to jihoon's bedroom door. looking over at ai, he watched his mischievous cat unravel into thread, vanishing into thin air. sighing, dino knocked on his brother's door.

"jihoon hyung?" he called, opening the door on his own. the room was empty, it usually was. dino looked over his shoulder to the mysterious door: jihoon's studio. now dino knew that his brother was most likely in there, but he also knew that he wasn't allowed in. dino crept up to the door of his studio, his hand hovering over the doorknob.

'i know i shouldn't but i mean... ai led me here, so maybe there's something important in there... alright dino. just go. jihoon hyung isn't that scary... wait yes he is. ahhhh okay i'll just take a peek... that won't hurt.'

dino gripped the doorknob tightly, opening the door. the sight of the large red curtain on the other side of the portal exciting him. he glanced around the room, making sure no one else saw him. when the coast was clear, he jumped through the portal and past the curtain.

"but hyung it's dangerous to talk to him..."

"it's okay hoonie! no one really cares about seungcheol, just mom and dad, that's why we don't tell them. other than that it's fine! and plus, it's even worse that you keep taking their music disks."