3

it had been two weeks since soonyoung dreamt of that mysterious voice. he didn't want to admit it to himself, but he missed it. after weeks of hearing that voice it had become part of soonyoung's routine to listen to the endless stream of compliments while he slept.

the silence was lonely. soonyoung hadn't dreamt of anything since the voice bid him goodbye.

soonyoung rolled out of bed on saturday morning, eyes barely open. he makes his way down to the kitchen, where he finds seungcheol.

"hey hyung." he starts, rubbing his eyes as he pulls a mug from the cupboard.

seungcheol, who's sitting at the kitchen table, shoots him a wide smile. "morning soon!"

the moment seungcheol meets soonyoung's gaze, his smile drops.

"soonyoung, are you okay? your eyebags are getting really dark, and you've been yawning all the time for a few weeks now. i'm worried."

soonyoung thinks, 'do i tell him about that voice? he might think i'm going crazy'

after seeing seungcheol's face, though, soonyoung decides to tell him about his dreams. if anything, he was going to blame exhaustion for his crazy ideas.

"well hyung... i've been having weird dreams lately... a-and i don't know what they mean."

seungcheol didn't break eye contact, "well, what are they about? we can talk about it. dreams can feel super crazy sometimes."

soonyoung felt his lips curve into a small smile. "thanks hyung. i've been having this dream about a... voice. i don't know who it is, and it was never like scary or anything but... he complimented me a lot? i thought maybe my self-confidence had shot up and that i was just getting narcissistic, but that's not it! i had the same dream for weeks until one day it stopped,"

soonyoung took a deep breath and continued, "he was talking to me again, and he said a really funny word. when i asked him what it meant, he freaked out and then said goodbye... and i haven't had the dream for two weeks since that night. i swear hyung i'm not crazy but it's just been bothering me a lot lately."

soonyoung made his way across the kitchen to sit across from seungcheol, propping his head with his arm.

seungcheol closed his eyes for a moment, taking in all the information he was given. when he opened them, he asked, "soon, what was the word that threw everything out of whack?"

"i believe it was amenity? he called me one and i asked what it meant... like what kind of word is that? it sounds made up to me."

seungcheol's eyes widened, clasping his hand over his mouth.

"h-hyung? are you alright?!"

"imanity. the word is imanity... isn't it?"

"yeah, that's it... have you heard it before?"

seungcheol took a deep breath before speaking, "yeah, i do."

soonyoung's grin spread across his face, "really?! how?"

"soon, do you remember why no family would adopt me back at the orphanage?"

"well yeah, 'the child is well-mannered, cute and intelligent. however, his imagination is too much to handle. his imaginary friend takes up too much of his time and is easily distracted.'" soonyoung recited, they were words they knew all too well.

seungcheol sighed, tilting his head back. "when we were in the orphanage, i had a friend... he wasn't there, but he was a little voice in my head. his name, he said, was han. i called him hannie."