Part II| Why'd You Stay?

"You never give up when I'm falling apart, your arms are always open wide. And you're quick to forgive when I make a mistake, you love me in the blink of an eye. Your heart is gold and how am I the one that you've chosen to love? I still can't believe that you're right next to me after all that I've done." —Plumb.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Don't Deserve You' by Plumb.

••

Harmony

Even the weather seems to not be on my side today. As I make my way down the street in the direction of the town's Health Centre, my mind is just as cloudy as the skies above me.

I want to call my mom and talk to her about how depressed I've been of late, but she'd probably just give me one of her 'I told you so' lectures. She did warn me about getting involved with boys at the college, but I took no heed to the wise advice. I have done enough self-criticism these past few days; I can't handle any outward chastisement right now.

Light sprinkles of rain spot the pavement beneath my feet, and I bring narrowed eyes up to the sky that has now become a pillar of grey.

I should hurry before it comes down heavily, although getting wet could probably wash away my melancholy.

My exposed legs are as cold as ice, and I can barely feel them as I try to hasten my footsteps. I lift my palms to my mouth and blow in them for warmth, then tuck them into the pockets of my sweater. The harsh wind blows my hair around my face, and it's so stifling that I have to intake a breath, seeing the vapor emitting from my mouth.

The weather hates me. Everything does.

Suddenly a car drives up beside me, and I jerk away from its screeching tires as it comes to a stop at my feet. The window winds down, and I still in my spot while my body goes numb. I am not sure if it is because of the rain or the boy sitting behind the wheels.

I blink away the raindrops from my eyes to be certain my pupils aren't deceiving me.

Blaze bends his head to have a look at my frozen figure. "Get in."

"It's okay...it's just a small distance down..."

"Get in the car, Harmony."

I chew on my lip and make my way over to his Mercedes. I get in and close the door, the warmth of his car hugging me as I snap my seatbelt.

He keeps his focus ahead as he steps on his gas and drives off.

The car is madly silent, but the void is torturously deafening. I glance over at him, and he appears to be deep in thought. His attention is fixed on the road, and his temples are tense. One of his awful singing and bad dancing would be great right now; I haven't seen that in a while, and I know that maybe I will never see it again. I lied to him. He trusted me, and I showed him why he didn't put his faith in humans in the first place. I don't think it will ever be the same again.