I Want To See All Of You

"You've built your wall so high that no one could climb it but I'm gonna try."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Beneath Your Beautiful' by Labrinth ft. Emeli Sande.

••

Harmony

The car ride to Homewood is extremely quiet as I sit in the backseat. Blaze has his head perched against his headrest at the front while his dad is tapping his fingers against the steering wheel. That is probably his way of dealing with uncomfortable tensions. A few times, Blaze's eyes and mine would connect from his side mirror, and I would look away awkwardly, butterflies instantly circulating in my abdomen.

"So Harmony, right?"

I meet Mr. Blake's gaze through his top mirror. "Yes, sir. Harmony is correct."

"Is your major at Homewood Business like my son?"

Blaze's major is Business? It's so sad to admit that I don't even know that much.

"Um no, my major is English."

"Oh." He bobs his head. "That's nice. So, how did you meet Blaze?"

"Dad." Blaze hisses and shakes his head, annoyed. "Are these questions necessary? Stop interrogating her. She isn't one of your crime suspects."

Mr. Xander chuckles, his deep voice dominating the dense space and causing me to smile. "I am sorry, I am a cop; I can't help it. Sweetheart, do you mind me asking you questions just for conversational purposes?"

I shake my head with a grin. "Not at all, Mr. Xander."

"See? She thinks it's fine."

Blaze rolls his eyes and looks out the window.

Why is he consistently so aggressive toward his dad? He seems like a nice man.

"My son is very short-tempered, isn't he?"

I smile. "Sometimes...he can be fun too when you catch him alone."

At the mention of this, Blaze finds my eyes again from his mirror, and his direct glare causes a chunk of warmth to spread across my cheeks. I look away quickly.

"Really?" His dad is smiling toothily. "What's so fun about this walking time-bomb who curses at every chance he gets?"

I laugh. "Well..."

Mr. Blake seems to be waiting for a response as he glances at me through his top mirror, so I clear my throat nervously to speak.

"Uh, well... he likes singing awfully to the music on his radio, he's a good artist...he laughs at horror movies, and he can cook nice cheesy pasta."

I am surprised at how much I know about him. I may not know the deeper things, but the times we spent together taught me so much without him having to tell me.

"Oh, and he likes burgers." I chuckle a little. I can feel my cheeks on fire and wonder if I sound like a girl who's madly in love right now.

This is so embarrassing; I should stop.

I catch a glimpse of a small smile tugging at Blaze's lips through his glass, and he perches his elbow on the window ledge, concealing his elation with a hand.

"Wow. You know a lot, Harmony. I don't even know that much."

Blaze rolls his eyes at him. "Well, how would you when we barely spend time together?"

"See?" His dad chuckles lightheartedly. "He's so aggressive."

I smile a bit then focus my eyes to the window so that I won't end up exchanging eye contact with Blaze again. He has been staring at me through his mirror ever since I got in the car, and my cheeks are probably red as blood right now after my speech about him.