Part II| Team Work?

"I can't make you love me if you don't, you can't make your heart feel, something that it won't." —Tank/Adele.

Chapter Theme Song: I Can't Make You Love Me by Adele.

••

Harmony

"I have to go," I mumble with a hung head while quickly moving past him. With a loud sigh, he grasps my arm to halt my steps. "Harmony, wait."

I hastily free myself of his grip and glance around the area. If Blaze sees us talking, he will certainly be mad. I respect him just as much as he respects me.

I take a step back. "What are you doing here?"

"To see you." He shrugs. "Why aren't you answering my text messages?"

"I didn't see them..."

He simpers and shakes his head. "Now you're lying? You know WhatsApp is known for its 'read recipients' feature, and I see that my messages get 'blue ticked' all the time, you don't have to lie."

"Look, Kite, I like you but not in the way you want me to." I sigh. "I love Blaze."

He nods and scratches his nose. "Yeah, but does he love you?"

I don't say anything, I just look away, and he steps forward. "Has he even said that he 'likes' you? Because at least an 'I Like You' from him would be enough."

"No," I reply. "No, he hasn't said that but...but I know he does, he—"

I don't need to tell Kite about Blaze's Sociopathy; that's not his business to know. I don't need to explain myself to him now, do I?

"He is just a complex human being," I answer. "And I understand him."

"Yeah, that's what Maddie said." He replies.

I tilt my head to the side, not sure I heard him correctly.

"Maddie? What do you know about Maddie?"

He sighs. "I know all there is to know. Maddie thought she could 'change' Blaze for the better, and that ended up almost being the death of her. It's the norm for girls to think they will be the one to change the bad guy, but you know Harmony? That tends to backfire a lot. I just don't want your conquest of saving Blaze getting blown up in your face."

I shake my head. "It won't...I am different from Maddie."

He nods. "I know...but does Blaze know the difference? To him, all girls are the same, he just sees a feminine figure with a vagina, and that's it."

"No...he doesn't see me that way. Blaze doesn't see me the way he sees all the other girls."

A vulgar outburst comes from the beverage section, and Kite and I drag our attention to the very same girls who were giving me the nasty eye earlier. Their circle looks larger now as they congregate around the red table of alcoholic drinks.

"Look at that." A blonde girl begins while chewing gum around in her mouth.

God, I hate gum-chewing.

"Blaze just turned his back a minute ago, and she's already talking to another guy."

Another chick in the clique with red-bleached hair chuckles at her friend's remark. "Yeah. Like seriously, she's a whore. I don't get why Blaze is hanging around such trash."

Kite rolls his eyes at them. "You all look more of a whore than her, bearing in mind the fact that I am seeing everything between your legs from over here. Girl with the red hair, close your legs."