Sketches & Blushes

"You picked a dance with the devil and you lucked out."—Chase Atlantic.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Swim' by Chase Atlantic.

••

Harmony

"He drank from your straw?" April puts a black dress, draped on a hanger, over her form as she stands in front of the mirror, cocking her head to the side contemplatively.

The dress looks extremely skimpy and leaves nothing to the imagination. The sleeves are laced-covered, and the cleavage and back area are widely low-cut. One bad shift and her chest will be displayed for the whole world to see.

She seems to be going somewhere, and I solemnly hope she does not try to drag me along like last night. I am not up for meeting anymore handsome, creepy boys.

It is as if my words have just sunken it as she turns to look at me, her eyes wide with disbelief. "He drank from your straw?!"

I nod. Well, welcome back to earth.

Sighing in exasperation, she flops down onto the bed next to me, splaying the dress onto her lap. "I keep warning him to stay away from you, but he just won't listen." She shakes her head frustratedly. "Blaze can be quite stubborn."

I recall how easily he and I bonded over his drawing, and how Mr. Jones' had warned me to keep my distance from him. I am feeling greatly conflicted because the image they are painting isn't what I am seeing at all. I rub my arm. "Uhm, he doesn't seem so bad..."

"Bad?" She sighs, shifting her torso to face me. "Okay listen, Harmony. You can't take Blaze seriously. He is never genuine with anyone. It's not that he doesn't want to be...he just can't be even if he wants to."

I don't think I comprehend that last line.

My eyebrows knit together, and I coil my feet beneath me. "What do you mean by that?"

Immediately, the door to the room opens, interrupting our conversation. Tia and Yuna stroll into the space, bringing with them a strong whiff of feminine cologne. They are both arrayed in short dresses, and their hairs are properly done with makeup perfectly applied to their skins.

"Ready?" Yuna questions and Tia looks at me with a smile.

"Are you coming, Harmony?"

"Coming where?" My eyes drift between her and April, who puts a palm to her forehead as she shakes her head.

"I forgot to ask you. We are going to a party right down the street. One of the social frat members lives nearby here. Want to come?"

I shake my head instantly, without the need for mental contemplation. "No, I will just stay here, it is not my thing."

She frowns, nudging me pleadingly. "Come on, it will be fun."

"Another time," I promise, then regret it immediately. I hate parties. People are always smoking at those sorts of gatherings and that's not good for my asthma. Alongside that, creepy drunk guys tend to lurk around at such events, and I don't want to be the victim of some frat party battery. It is just not the place for me, and the whole thought of it makes my skin itch.

"Okay next time it is then!" Yuna smiles, and I resist the urge to say, 'don't hold your breath.' My thoughts can be quite feisty sometimes, but my sassy sentiments never seem to leave my mouth. I am yet to gather the courage to speak boldly.

April gets up from the bed. "I haven't changed yet, give me a minute, guys."

She walks to the bathroom with her chosen dress, leaving us in the small room. The girls send me awkward smiles, and I render a weird one back. I have no idea what to say to them. I've only met them last night and they aren't as talkative as April, so I just purse my lips and run my small hands along my thighs, keeping my gaze on the pink bedsheets.