Hot & Cold

"This is how an angel cries. Blame it on my own sick pride; blame it on my ADD, baby."—Awolnation.

Chapter Theme Song: 'SAIL' by Awolnation.

••

Harmony

The weekend swept away as fast as the wind, with no sign of Blaze and an empty dorm with only the squeaky sounds of anime characters being my companion.

I had the intention of heading home for the weekend, but my mom had a church camping convention to get to and so I spent my free days in the dorm alone, doing my laundry, reading manga, and watching a marathon of Attack on Titan.

April had offered that I come along with her to Tia's house for the weekend, but I didn't want to intrude in someone's private space, so I declined the offer while providing a half-lie that I was to head home for the short break. She bought it without question and left after watching an episode of the anime with me.

The kiss plagued my mind all weekend. But every time it resurfaced my head, I was hit with what April had told me about it just being a part of his narcissistic cycle. So, after a Sunday of daydreaming, back-logging, and self-reflection, I concluded that I will be staying away from Blaze Xander for good. I will keep my distance until eventually our short interaction fades into nothingness and we become two strangers once again. He's popular around here so he'll find another girl to hang around soon, and I'll be back into my quiet, distant world where I truly belong.

Yeah, I see where that plan could work.

I leave the dorm to head to class in a dark grey, sleeveless dress with low-hanging pockets, my hair tied up in a bun, and a pair of white ballet flats on my feet. I grip the straps of my bag as I traverse down the empty hallway, the early morning sun escaping through the block windows and spreading its golden beams onto the slippery floors.

Checking the slim watch on my wrist, I beam when I discover that it's only 7:20 am. I'll be arriving at English class before schedule; I am already seeing the positive effects of not interacting with Blaze Xander.

Ever since I met him, I have only been tardy to my lectures or falling back on completing my homework ahead of time. He's not healthy for my heart or my academics and being around him is disabling me from putting all my focus on my studies. I can't afford to become distracted; I need my degree.

It's as if the universe is playing against me since as I break the corner, I instantly spot the person I should be keeping my distance from. He's standing at the corner of the stairway, a beanie hat covering his dark hair and his torso adorned with a black, loose tank top with wide underarm slits. Grey jaggers and a pair of black Nike sneakers complete his attire and his palms are pressed against his waists as he glares ahead of him in what looks like anger.

I bite my lip, curiosity getting the better of me. He doesn't seem fine and I am tempted to check if he's alright. We do share the same English class anyway, much to my remembrance, and so avoiding him today would be equal to impossible.

I'll just ask if he's fine. That's all.

I suck my bottom lip in as I begin to stalk toward him, but as soon as I am about to break the narrow corner, my eyes meet upon an older man. I skid in my tracks and back-step, putting my body behind the wall as my ear peeks in inquisition.

"Ms. Fen says you haven't gone back to see her yet Blaze, why's that?"

Blaze rolls his eyes skyward, using a hand to rub his lips in annoyance. His jaws are tightly grounded, and his expression is laced with maliciousness.