What Do You Do With A Broken Heart?

"There's no reason; there's no rhyme. I found myself blindsided by a feeling that I've never known; I'm dealing with it on my own. I'm praying, but it's not enough. I'm done; I don't believe in love. Learning how to let it go. Dealing with it on my own."—Lany.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Malibu Nights' by Lany.

••

Third Person

Harmony tries her best to keep up with Blaze's long-legged strides as they cross the pool deck to get to the hotel's building. The minute they have arrived inside the spacious lobby, his hand leaves hers abruptly. Her heart drops in her chest as she stares at her fingers that were only seconds ago, interlaced with his.

He opens the door to his room, and as soon as they step inside, she begins to speak.

"I am sorry, Blaze. Kite kissed me; it was definitely against my will. I would never hurt you like that."

He turns to her, and the facial expression he's wearing causes fear to brew within her. His gaze is blank, back to the vacant look he often had when they had first met. She is unable to read what he's thinking, and that's the scariest thing.

"I know you don't believe me," she mutters, staring at the floor. Her voice involuntarily cracks, telling her that she's close to crying again.

He doesn't say anything, and so she looks up again to find him standing there and just staring at her silently. Blowing out a soft sigh, he shoves his palms in his shorts' pockets. But despite his exhalation, his distant gaze is unwavering.

"I know. I know he was the one who kissed you."

"Do you?" A pang of hope mixed with relief filters through her emotions.

"I do."

"Then—"

"But it makes no sense, Harmony."

The line strikes her. Like the piercing of an arrow's blade. Although she is not sure what that means, she can tell that it's nothing good. She is afraid of seeking clarification because she knows it may hurt her, but mustering up a dose of courage, she tries to anyway.

"What do you mean, Blaze?"

"Yeah, I trust you. I know that perhaps it was Kite who came onto you, but I am not ready."

Not ready?

"I am not ready for what comes with being with someone; with having feelings for someone. I can't do it. You know more than anyone else that I am not eligible for relationships. I am not fit to date. I need time to understand my emotions and how to deal with them. I am a mess right now, Harmony. So it's best we just chill out."

Chill out?

She narrows her eyes as her shoulders sag in defeat.

"Are you saying—"

"I am saying that we should just be friends. Whatever it is that we're doing here, we should just stop."

Her eyes moisten, and she sucks in a breath. "Do you mean that?"

He nods, and his detached expression is still present. If he trusts her, then why is he still so aloof?

"So, you just want me to give up on what we have?" She manages to ask, unable to stop her voice from quivering.

Blaze doesn't say anything for a while, and then he lets out a harsh breath that he was probably holding for quite some time.

"You'll get over me," he says. "I ain't shit anyway."

A warm, fresh tear rolls down her cheek, and she wipes it away quickly. It is so pathetic to keep crying in front of him like an idiot.

The sight of her glassy orbs finally evokes emotion from him, and his eyebrows knit together in bother.

"I should go..." he mumbles.

He turns away, and she steps forward. "Have you forgotten? We signed a contract, Blaze. You told me I am not allowed to leave you..."

He stills in his position for a while before he turns around to look at her. She studies his face, coming to the thought that he doesn't seem to be as hurt as she is. If he's concealing his feelings, then he's doing quite an awfully good job at it. He was wrong—maybe he does have fairly good control over his emotions.

"Well as of today, it's deactivated. You should not have to be tied to someone. You're free to do whatever you want, Harmony. You owe me nothing,"

That's not what she wants to hear.

"Fine..." She nods. "Then let's deactivate the contract the way we activated it."

Confusion flashes across his face as she takes a few steps toward him. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she tips on her toes and places her lips against his. Blaze is shocked at the unexpected action but closes his eyes and begins to kiss her back.

Her stomach flutters at the softness of his lips, and it makes her even more bitter that maybe he won't be kissing her anymore.

She moves in closer to him as he presses his palms against her waists, his tongue making its entry and finding hers. The taste of his mouth is enough to let anyone lose their religion—it's an addictive cocaine that keeps her wanting more every time. She can tell he had been drinking liquor, and she can tell that it was because of her.

His lips hasten their pace, and she begins to mirror them, but as soon as the desire grows to an overwhelming peak, he breaks their mouth apart and looks away.

Breathing heavily, she removes her arms from his neck and glares at him. Her eyes are filled with water, but he's not looking at her—he's looking everywhere else, but not at her.

He rubs his forehead. "We can't do that again, you hear me? I am serious, Harmony."

She feels the little hope she had left trickling away and immediately being replaced with pure embarrassment.

"Take that as us deactivating the contract. It's the last. I can't...I mean, we can't kiss each other again."

He means it. She can tell.

"I'll see you around," he mutters, and flashes of frustration and sadness shimmer in his eyes as he turns away from her.

She wants to tell him not to leave as he walks out, but she can't be selfish now, can she? She can't be needy and clingy because it'll only make things worse.

This must be the most heartbreaking moment of her entire life.

They weren't in a relationship, but why does she feel as though they had just broken up? She's about to run out of tears, and her biggest regret is ever coming to this pool party in the first place.