Family

"Because of you, I find it hard to trust not only me but everyone around me. Because of you, I am afraid."

Chapter Theme Song: 'Because of You' by Kelly Clarkson.

••

Harmony

Today is Friday, and we don't have classes. So, I decided to head to my hometown for the weekends. I think seeing my mom and my little brother and catching up with Collum would make me feel better. I hope they won't catch on to the dark circles beneath my eyes and my swollen eyelids. I tried to cover them up with makeup the best that I could.

April wishes me a safe journey as I leave the dorm room, and I stand at the entrance to the school's campus, waiting to see my Mother's blue Honda pull up to the curb. The morning is extremely chilly, and the frosty wind blows my curls around the frame of my face as I try to get myself warm under my sweater.

Distant chattering leads me to pull my gaze next to me, and two boys are laughing and prattling as they advance in my direction. In no time, I make James's frame out of the pair, and I swing my face in the opposite direction to avoid making eye contact. I don't want to speak with anyone right now. Especially anyone related to Blaze Xander.

Apparently, hope just isn't on my side this morning as he spots my figure in no time and jogs over with his radiant smile.

"Good morning, Harmony."

I look around at him, pretending that I am just noticing his presence as I forge a plastic smile. "Hey..."

Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, he sheepishly peers up at me from the top of his eyes. "I heard about last night..."

I suspire, looking away from him and to my shoes instead. "Yeah... I don't want to talk about it. It's really embarrassing."

The entire circle had witnessed me crying and storming away the moment the squirrel's lips touched Blaze's neck. I must have looked like nothing but a laughingstock.

"Yeah, I am sorry. So, where are you heading?" He observes my heavily packed knapsack inquisitively.

"Home. For the weekend."

"Ah. I see." He bobs his head while his companion comes to stand next to him, dangling a key chain on his finger quite impatiently.

I smile a little, hoping he'll heed to his friend's silent wishes and continue his journey, but he only lets out a soft breath and tries to stretch the conversation.

"Look, Harmony... Blaze is actually—"

My Mother's car finally breaks the corner and I have never been happier in my entire life. I don't want to talk about Blaze. Just the thought of him is enough to give me an emotional breakdown, and I put too much effort into my makeup this morning so that my eyes wouldn't snitch to my mom.

I wave my hand toward the oncoming vehicle, and James trails my focus to the feminine shape behind the wheels. "Oh, your mom?"

"Yeah."

The car comes to a stop at our feet and the window rolls down to reveal Haylee Skye with a vibrant beam on her face. "Good morning, Harmony-baby."

"Morning, Mom." I grip the handle of the door, and her eyes dart to James who smiles and lifts his hand to her. She renders a greeting back, but I can tell she wants to ask who he is.

"See you on Monday, James." I wave at him, and he smiles and salutes me.

"Okay, enjoy your weekend."

I close my door, and my mom begins her expedition down the street. I place my knapsack onto the mat by my feet and pull my curls out from their tuck in my sweater.