Defensive

"Need you when I'm broken, when I'm fixed. Need you when I'm well and when I'm sick. Friends that I rely on don't come through. They run like the river but not you." —Zayn Malik.

Chapter Theme Song: 'There You Are' by Zayn Malik.

(^A/N: This song fits Blaze so much!! :)

••

Harmony

"Stay away from me then!"

The words he uttered yesterday during his aggressive state have been plaguing my thoughts ever since. Did he mean them? Judging from the rage his eyes held, I am surer than not that he did.

To be honest, I was wrong. I should have never run ahead and judged him without seeking out the full story first, and now I just became like everyone else. I feel like I have failed both him and myself somehow.

While April showers, I get dressed in a knee-length jean skirt and a black long-sleeved top. I let my hair flow freely, not finding the strength to wrestle with it today as I am already using up too much mental energy on thinking about Blaze Xander.

My phone rings from the nightstand while I grab my bag from the bed, and I smile a little when I see my mother's face on the caller ID. I press it to my ear, feeling contented that she decided to call. There is just something about a mother that gives you solace whenever you're in one of your darkest days.

"Hey, mom."

"Harmony, how are you doing there?"

I shrug, even though she's unable to see me, and push my arms through the straps of my bag. "It's okay so far."

It's not.

"Okay great, I am so worried about you." She sighs, as the bathroom door opens and April steps out, drying her damp hair with a towel.

"Don't be Mom, I am alright, really," I assure her, somehow hoping she could turn on her psychic-motherly-abilities and realize that I am currently dying on the inside.

Blaze is the type of person that if he's angry with you it cuts so deep that you can feel the physical pain in your chest. I am aware that I am slowly becoming attached to him and I hate that. It surely isn't healthy, especially since I am almost sure he isn't feeling the same level of affinity for me. Seeing how easy it was for him to cut me off.

Evidently, I did deserve the retaliation I got. I did give him a hard slap to the face without even hearing him out. But anyone would give that reaction after the inhumane response he gave to the situation. He seemed to not have genuinely cared and kept on smiling sadistically as if Malcolm's misery was only entertainment for him.

I wanted to believe in him, and I still want to believe in him. Regardless of what happened yesterday.

"Okay dear, and your brother misses you a lot."

I smile at the mention of my little brother, and then his gentle voice comes on the line, causing my grin to expand.

"Harmony!"

I chuckle. "Eli! How are you?"

"I miss you."

I feel the tattered pieces of my soul slowly molding back. I miss my family. "Me too, soldier."

April is listening to my conversation and smiling while she crashes onto the bed, crouching down to slip her shoes on.

"Take good care of mom now, okay?"

"Okay."

I kiss him through the phone before my mother's voice returns on the line. "Remember if you need anything call me, Harmony."