Put Your Hand In Mine

"Is it you or are the lights getting brighter in the night?" — Grace VanderWaaal.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Ur So Beautiful' by Grace VanderWaal.

^Blaze's House.

••

Harmony

"Finally, the boots are here!" April beams as she enters through our dorm door, holding a beige shoebox in her hands.

"Okay, come on, come on!" Yuna urges her over excitedly, and she chuckles as she scampers down to where we are seated on the bed.

"Alright, here we go!" She uncovers the box, and the smell of new leather welcomes me as she lifts the black boots that are the same as hers. "Ta-da! Size six!"

I am shocked that she somehow discovered my shoe size, and it is as if she has read my mind as she lets out a faint laugh.

"I looked at one of your ballet flats." She stretches the pair toward me. "This is for you Harmony."

I have no idea what to say. I tend to be quite reluctant when it comes to accepting gifts. My mom grew me up to be contented with what I have, and I hate putting people into a pickle to get things for me.

She realizes my hesitancy and frowns. "Come on Harmony, please. They would look nice on you." And Tia and Yuna nod their heads from next to her.

"I hope it wasn't a trouble for you," I say, and she shakes her head quickly.

"No way, I got it at half price if that makes you feel better." She grins.

My smile drags a little and I sigh. "As long as it's not a problem—"

"Harmony just take the goddamn boots!" Tia laughs, and they all join in as I finally retrieve it from her hands. I stare at it for a while and my heart swells with gratefulness. I have only known her for two weeks, yet she has portrayed such benevolence toward me. I feel lucky to have met upon such genuine people; I am not sure how I would have survived my first weeks at Homewood without them.

"Thank you, April."

She playfully fans me off with a smile. "Oh hush, pretty girl. Now on to something for you to wear to the party!"

Yuna and Tia cheer in excitement, and I let out a chuckle as I ogle them in confusion. What is so exciting about helping someone to get dressed?

••

In no time we are clothed and ready to head out to Blaze's party. My face feels a tad heavy due to the makeup April applied, and its dusty sensation keeps invading my nostrils, propelling me to sneeze. I am not accustomed to wearing these facial products; it's just not my taste, but I allowed them to doll me up just for tonight. It's a party anyway and if I am going to be out of character by attending one, why not just follow right through?