Medicine

"Don't care enough to bother. Maybe I'm just my father. He couldn't see all of me, now I can't trust another. So darling if you'd rather a happily ever after, don't you see? that ain't me, judge me by my cover." —Leo Kaylan.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Fucked Up' by Leo Kaylan

••

Harmony

We are back in his car to head back to school, and it feels like no matter how much time I spend with him, I can never get enough of him.

The drawings I saw in his room are plaguing my thoughts, and I cannot help wondering if he is alright. I wish he knew that he could confide in me; I will not judge his pain or his sorrows like everyone else.

I am distracted from my mind by his awful singing as he nods his head to the music on his radio, his fingers making rhythms on his steering wheel.

A genuine smile breaks on my face as I watch him. No one would think that a mirthful soul like him would draw such painful-looking art. He appears so unbothered and without trouble that it would take more than just a mere glimpse at the surface to discern that he is fragmented. I want to peel his mask off and see his soul. But he just won't let me.

He notices the audience and looks at me with a toothy smile. "What?"

I fabricate a chuckle, shaking my head. "Nothing."

"That's a huge lie, green eyes. No one looks at someone so absorbingly without reason. Come on, what are you thinking about?"

I shrug. "I just think you suck at singing." I laugh and he pretends to look hurt but he's still smiling as he presses his palm to his chest.

"I think I sound good."

I giggle. "Okay."

I look out the window with an unchanging smile and he speaks again. "I know my voice is not as angelic as the angel sitting beside me but..."

I am blushing but shaking my head at the compliment. "I do not sound angelic...and I am not an angel."

"I don't agree with the first part of the statement, but the last part needs consideration bearing in the mind how naughty you were earlier at the beach."

"Oh God, don't." My face tints to a bright tone as I press my palms over my eyes, and he laughs at my nervousness, salivating his lips.

"But honestly." He clears his throat and tries to speak in a more serious tone. "You sound really good. Nothing moves my heart, but when you sing, I feel it deep down somewhere."

Wow. Did he mean that?

I stare at him and he looks over at me briefly before looking away again, not granting me the chance to read his eyes. Still flushing at his flattering remarks, I sink my point of focus to the flower patterns on my dress. "I'm not that great."

"Trust me, you are. You draw well, you sing well...oh yeah, and you circle your hips well."

He shoots me a grin and I have officially melted into a pile of nothing. He can't say that then smile at me and not expect me to morph into a human strawberry.

We turn into the school's parking lot and I feel the utmost disappointment that we have arrived so soon. Where is the traffic jam when you need it? I bet if I were on my way to a job interview or something it would have been present.

Being alone with Blaze felt good. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Not even a copy of my favorite novel, and that's something. That's a whole lot.

"Hey um, will you be coming with me to the meeting?" I ask as I unlatch my seatbelt.