62 ; the welcoming feast

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 62

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Through the gates, flanked with statues of winged boars, and up the sweeping drive the carriages trundled, swaying dangerously in what was fast becoming a gale. Smiling softly as Theodore scolded her for frightening a first year, Y/N looked out the window and saw Hogwarts coming nearer, its many lighted windows blurred and shimmering behind the thick curtain of rain. Lightning flashed across the sky as their carriage came to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stood at the top of a flight of stone steps.

People who had occupied the carriages in front were already hurrying up the stone steps into the castle. Y/N, Theodore, Blaise, and Daphne jumped down from their carriage and dashed up the steps behind Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville, looking up only when they were safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit Entrance Hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

"ARRGH!" Ron screeched in front of them.

A large, red, water-filled balloon had dropped from out of the ceiling on to Ron's head and exploded. Y/N laughed as Ron staggered sideways into Harry, drenched and sputtering, just as a second water bomb dropped, narrowly missing Hermione. People all around them shrieked and started pushing one another in their efforts to get out of the line of fire. Y/N looked up and saw, floating twenty feet above them, Peeves the Poltergeist, a little man in a bell-covered hat and orange bow tie, his wide, malicious face contorted with concentration as he took aim again.

"PEEVES!" yelled an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!"

Professor McGonagall, deputy headmistress and Head of Gryffindor House, had come dashing out of the Great Hall; she skidded on the wet floor and grabbed Hermione around the neck to stop herself from falling.

"Ouch — sorry, Miss Granger —"

"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione gasped, massaging her throat.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" barked Professor McGonagall, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upward through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"Not doing nothing!" cackled Peeves, lobbing a water bomb at several fifth-year girls, who screamed and dived into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Oh look, the little Grace girl, the itty bitty heiress, Miss Slytherin!" And he aimed another bomb at Y/N, right on target as it exploded all over her. She grumbled.

"I shall call the headmaster!" shouted Professor Mcgonagall. "I'm warning you, Peeves —"

Peeves stuck out his tongue, threw the last of his water bombs at a group of second years who had just arrived, and zoomed off up the marble staircase, cackling insanely.

"Well, move along, then!" said Professor McGonagall sharply to the bedraggled crowd. "Into the Great Hall, come on!"

They slipped and slid across the Entrance Hall and through the double doors on the right, both Ron and Y/N muttering furiously under their breaths as they pushed sopping hair strands out of their faces.