64 ; S.P.E.W.

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 64

Of course, Daphne was right. For the next two days, many looks were cast at Y/N, mostly curious glances from students who couldn't care less about her love life. But of course, there were also the angry looks from girls who wanted to date Draco (but were too scared to confront the oh-so-powerful Y/N), and sad looks from the boys interested in her. All in all, Y/N was under watchful eyes, and she couldn't do anything without someone knowing.

Other than that, nothing really interesting happened, unless you counted Neville melting his sixth cauldron in Potions. Professor Snape, who seemed to have attained new levels of vindictiveness over the summer, gave Neville detention, and Neville returned from it in a state of nervous collapse, having been made to disembowel a barrel full of horned toads.

"You know why Snape's in such a foul mood, don't you?" said Ron to their small circle in the Inter-House common room, as they watched Hermione teaching Neville a Scouring Charm to remove the toad guts from under his fingernails.

"Yeah," said Theodore. "Moody."

It was common knowledge that Snape really wanted the Dark Arts job, and he had now failed to get it for the fourth year running. Snape had disliked all of their previous Dark Arts teachers, and shown it — but he seemed strangely wary of displaying overt animosity to Mad-Eye Moody. Indeed, whenever Y/N saw the two of them together — at mealtimes, or when they passed in the corridors — she had the distinct impression that Snape was avoiding Moody's eye, whether magical or normal.

"I reckon Snape's a bit scared of him, you know," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Imagine if Moody turned Snape into a horned toad," said Ron, his eyes misting over, "and bounced him all around his dungeon. . . ."

The group of fourth-years were looking forward to Moody's first lesson (which they had together) so much that they arrived early on Thursday lunchtime and queued up outside his classroom before the bell had even rung. The only person missing was Hermione, who turned up just in time for the lesson.

"Been in the —"

"Library," Blaise finished her sentence for her. She reddened.

"C'mon, quick, or we won't get decent seats," said Harry, who seemed rather eager.

They hurried into the front row, where eight chairs had been empty, and filled all of them except one. Pansy had decided that she'd only be their friend, rather than their best friend. Which was good, because Y/N reckoned that Harry, Ron, and Hermione wouldn't particularly accept her that well.

Neville filled the last seat beside Y/N, smiling rather tightly as he fearfully gazed around the classroom. They all took out their copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, and waited, unusually quiet. Soon they heard Moody's distinctive clunking footsteps coming down the corridor, and he entered the room, looking as strange and frightening as ever. They could just see his clawed, wooden foot protruding from underneath his robes.