47 ; three hours

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 47

Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. Next came Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his own wand, which was being pointed at him by Sirius Black. Hermione followed them, and Harry, Y/N, and Goldfish brought up the rear.

Getting back into the tunnel was difficult. Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron had to turn sideways to manage it; Lupin still had Pettigrew covered with his wand. Y/N could see them edging awkwardly along the tunnel in single file. Crookshanks was still in the lead, and Harry edged forward to talk to Sirius.

When they had finally managed to make it all the way up the tunnel, Crookshanks had supposedly darted up to place his paw to the knot on the trunk, because Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron clambered upward without any sound of savaging branches.

Sirius saw Snape up through the hole, then stood back for Harry, Hermione, Y/N, and Goldfish to pass. At last, all of them were out.

The grounds were very dark now; the only light came from the distant windows of the castle. Without a word, they set off. Pettigrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering. Y/N's head pounded with information, adventure, and confusion.

"One wrong move, Peter," said Lupin threateningly ahead. His wand was still pointed sideways at Pettigrew's chest.

Silently they tramped through the grounds, the castle lights growing slowly larger. Snape was still drifting weirdly ahead of Sirius, his chin bumping on his chest. And then –

A cloud shifted. There were suddenly dim shadows on the ground. Their party was bathed in moonlight.

Snape collided with Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron, who had stopped abruptly. Sirius froze. He flung out one arm to make Harry, Hermione, and Y/N stop –

Y/N could see Lupin's silhouette. He had gone rigid. Then his limbs began to shake.

"Oh, my –" Hermione gasped. "He didn't take his potion tonight! He's not safe!"

"Oh, so now you care," Y/N muttered to herself, rolling her eyes as she crossed her arms.

"Run," Sirius whispered. "Run. Now."

Y/N wouldn't run unless Harry ran, but he leapt forward to Lupin. However, Sirius caught him around the chest and threw him back into Y/N, who mindlessly steadied him.

"Leave it to me – RUN!"

There was a terrible snarling noise. Lupin's head was lengthening. So was his body. His shoulders were hunching. Hair was sprouting visibly on his face and hands, which were curling into clawed paws. Crookshanks and Goldfish's hair were on end again; they were backing away –