49 ; the tall wizard

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 49

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

When Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N left the hospital wing at noon the next day, it was to find an almost deserted castle. The sweltering heat and at the end of the exams meant that everyone was taking full advantage of another Hogsmeade visit. Neither Ron, Hermione, nor Y/N felt like going, however, so they and Harry wandered onto the grounds, still talking about the extraordinary events of the previous night and wondering where Sirius and Buckbeak were now. Sitting near the lake, watching the giant squid waving its tentacles lazily above the water, Y/N lost the thread of the conversation as she looked across to the opposite bank. The Newfoundland had run toward her from there just last night, bringing along with it a change of fate. . . .

A shadow fell across them and they looked up to see a very bleary-eyed Hagrid, mopping his sweaty face with one of his tablecloth-sized handkerchiefs and beaming down at them.

"Know I shouldn' feel happy, after wha' happened las' night," he said. "I mean, Black escapin' again an' everythin' – but guess what?"

"What?" they said, pretending to look curious.

"Beaky! He escaped! He's free! Bin celebratin' all night!"

"That's wonderful!" said Hermione, giving Ron a reproving look because he looked as though he was close to laughing.

"Yeah . . . can't've tied him up properly," said Hagrid, gazing happily out over the grounds. "I was worried this mornin', mind . . . thought he mighta met Professor Lupin on the grounds, but Lupin says he never ate anythin' las' night. . . ."

"What?" said Harry quickly.

"Blimey, haven' yeh heard?" said Hagrid, his smile fading a little. He lowered his voice, even though there was nobody in sight. "Er – Snape told all the Slytherins this mornin'. . . . Thought everyone'd know by now . . . Professor Lupin's a werewolf, see. An' he was loose on the grounds las' night. . . . He's packin' now, o' course."

"He's packing?" said Harry, looking alarmed. Even Y/N could admit that she didn't like the sound of that. "Why?"

"Leavin', isn' he?" said Hagrid, looking surprised that Harry had to ask. "Resigned firs' thing this mornin'. Says he can't risk it happenin' again."

Harry scrambled to his feet.

"I'm going to see him," he said to Ron, Hermione, and Y/N.

"But if he's resigned –"

"– doesn't sound like there's anything we can do –"

" – tell him I said hi –"

"I don't care if there's nothing we can do. I still want to see him. I'll meet you back here."