42 ; exams and executions

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 42

⋆⋆⋆⋆

The only thing you would see Y/N Granger do was study. Any free time she had, from breakfast to curfew, you'd either see her studying or sleeping. Nothing else – well, maybe eating. But that was all. Exams were nearly upon them, and Y/N would not fail. And if it meant making amends with Hermione – so be it.

So now the group of seven students sat in the Inter-House common room, sprawled everywhere and studying. Y/N had all her notes separated into neat piles (divided by subject), Hermione was flicking through her books and highlighting many things, Daphne was practising her Charmwork, and the boys were playing study games with a few other third-years.

Just as Y/N flicked through her Herbology notes, Hedwig, Harry's owl, fluttered through the wide-open windows, landing on Harry's shoulder with a note clutched tight in her beak.

"It's from Hagrid," said Harry, ripping the note open. "Buckbeak's appeal – it's set for the sixth."

"That's the day we finish our exams," said Hermione, highlighting a definition.

"And they're coming up here to do it," said Harry, looking down at the letter. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic and – and an executioner."

Y/N looked up, startled.

"They're bringing the executioner to the appeal! But that sounds as though they've already decided!"

"Yeah, it does," said Harry slowly.

"They can't!" Ron howled. "I've spent ages reading up on stuff for him; they can't just ignore it all!"

But Y/N had a horrible feeling that the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures had made up their minds already. Malfoy was swaggering around the castle once more (after being a gloomy slump from their loss of the Quidditch Cup), and Y/N had overheard a particularly nasty conversation in the Slytherin Common Rooms earlier that day. If anything, the best they could do would be to go and see Hagrid, but because the strict new security measures hadn't been lifted, there was no way they could.

Exam week began and an unnatural hush fell over the castle. The third years emerged from Transfiguration at lunchtime on Monday, limp and ashen-faced, comparing results and bemoaning the difficulty of the tasks they had been set, which had included turning a teapot into a tortoise. Hermione irritated even Y/N by fussing about how her tortoise had looked more like a turtle, which was the least of everyone else's worries.

"Mine still had a spout for a tail, what a nightmare. . . ." Theodore whimpered.

"Were the tortoises supposed to breathe steam?" said Dean Thomas.

"It still had a willow-patterned shell, d'you think that'll count against me?" Lavender Brown cried.

Y/N and Hermione fell behind the rest of the students and hid behind a suit of armor to use the Time-Turner. The Arithmancy exam was easy enough – they had to answer thirty problems in sixty minutes, each problem harder than the last. Y/N, however, breezed through it quickly, and felt like she could've spent less time studying Arithmancy.