66 ; dilemma

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 66

Dread filled Y/N stomach as she sat there, mouth opened as the green fire from the goblet died down, reverting back to its original blue-white colour. The Hall, who had been previously staring after Harry after he disappeared, now turned their heads toward Y/N,  more shock than anger buzzing around.

Except, perhaps, from the Gryffindor table.

Many of the red-and-gold students had stood, furious faced as they stared at Y/N. Their shouts were drowned out by a hissing that had pierced Y/N's ears, the same hissing from before, when the goblet's fire had turned green — but why did it turn green? Was it because she was a Slytherin? Well, no — Cedric was a Hufflepuff but it didn't turn yellow. Was it because she was Slytherin's heir?That was possible — but also, maybe one of her ancestors competed? The possibilities were nearly endless.

It wasn't until someone shouted "We can't have a Slytherin champion, that'll just ruin the whole thing!" did Dumbledore interrupt.

"QUIET!" he roared, and all of the Gryffindors suddenly quieted, most sitting back down as Dumbledore stared all around them, his usual twinkling blue eyes now reflecting the fire within the goblet. "Y/N — if Miss Y/N Grace would please come up here!"

"I didn't . . ." Y/N faintly said, nausea running its course through her. "I didn't . . ."

"I know, I know," Daphne whispered frantically, seizing Y/N's arm and shaking her. "I know you didn't, Y/N, but you have to go up there."

Shaking madly and slightly teary eyed, Y/N stood abruptly, climbing out of her chair. Swallowing deeply, she wobbled down the row between Slytherin and Ravenclaw, her breath ragged with each step.

A hand caught her wrist. Looking down, she saw Draco staring worriedly up at her, a furrow in his brow as she stared fearfully at him. Squeezing her wrist three times, he let her go, urging forward.

What felt like a lifetime passed before Y/N made it to Professor Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

"Well . . . through the door, Y/N," he said.

Y/N moved along the teachers' table. Hagrid was seated right at the end. He did not wink at Y/N, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Y/N as she passed like everyone else. Y/N went through the door out of the Great Hall and found herself in a smaller room, lined with paintings of witches and wizards. A handsome fire was roaring in the fireplace opposite her.

The faces in the portraits were already staring at her — well, the boy in front of her.

"Harry . . ?" Y/N croaked out, her throat burning.

Harry turned to her sharply, his lips dry and cracked as they opened. His mouth bobbed like a fish before he spoke, his voice also coming out quite raspy, perhaps on the verge of tears.