19 ; enemies of the heir ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 2 : CHAPTER 19

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

October approached, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle – and it was especially cold in the dungeons. Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, was kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students - which were mostly Slytherin. Her Pepperup Potion worked instantly, though it left the drinker smoking at the ears for several hours afterward. Anthony, who had been looking pale, was bullied into taking some by Y/N. He was steaming at the ears for hours, but his color had come back to his face.

Raindrops the size of bullets thundered on the castle windows for days on end; the lake rose, the flower beds turned into muddy streams, and Hagrid's pumpkins swelled to the size of garden sheds. Marcus Flint's love for crashing Gryffindor practices, however, was not dampened, leaving Madam Hooch to split the field in half and put up an invisible blockade to reduce fighting. That was why, on one stormy Saturday afternoon a few days before Halloween, Y/N and Harry were found to be walking the deserted corridors, as everyone was in their own Common Rooms, enjoying steaming cups of cocoa.

"Come up to the Gryffindor tower?" asked Harry as they squelched along the corridor.

"I'll shower then come up," said Y/N. "Password?"

"Wattlebird," said Harry, and they parted ways at the stairs down to the dungeons.

Y/N sludged to the Slytherin common room, exhausted as she navigated through groups of friends, who were sprawled all over the floors and sofas and chairs, sharing tens of blankets. She finally made it to her dorm and showered, putting her muddy clothes in the hamper. Slinging her bag over her shoulder and snatching up her diary, she, once again, stepped through the tiniest path out of the Slytherin common room, and slowly marched up to the Gryffindor tower. Oddly, she found Harry almost at the portrait, and used the rest of her strength to catch up to him.

They found Hermione and Ron sitting in armchairs before the fire and dodged and slipped around Gryffindors (who had been doing the same as the Slytherins) to reach them. Harry, however went up to his dorm to change, but was back soon to tell them about the Gryffindor Ghost's (Nearly Headless Nick's) Deathday Party.

"A deathday party?" said Hermione keenly, shivering as she pulled her jumper over her knuckles. "I bet there aren't many living people who can say they've been to one of those – it'll be fascinating!"

"Why would anyone want to celebrate the day they died?" said Ron, who was halfway through his Potions homework and grumpy. "Sounds dead depressing to me . . . ."

"Well, count me out," Y/N said quickly, eager to tell them about what she heard. She hadn't had the chance to in the past week or so, but now was the perfect time. "Listen, on the night Harry and Ron had their detentions, I heard this voice –"