Chapter 36 - Not insecure, simply worried!

Today had been a long busy day. The team lost a very close match and everyone was disappointed. Amidst all this, I didn't get a chance to speak to Manik properly. So here I am standing outside his hotel room waiting for him to open the door.

"Hey!" I said softly as Manik opened the door.

"Hi, come on in!" He said half heartedly as he walked back in the room. I followed him in and took a seat on the sofa next to him.

"I figured you would be feeling down so I've ordered room service. Some of your favourite food is on its way. We can just chill together, eat good food, maybe put on a movie, a typical romantic movie for your sake." I said in my chirpy voice, I wanted to try my best to cheer him up.

"Nandini, stop, breathe..." He said calmly as he held my shoulders.

"We don't have to do all this. If you want to be alone then I can leave. I just figured you might not want to be alone..." I said.

"That's not what I meant. I'm glad you're here, I really am. You're so caring and kind. What did I do to deserve you?" He said softly as he cupped my cheeks.

"Well for starters you broke your leg, then flirted with me at the hospital, then came to my house with a marriage proposal, then fixed a deal with me, and then...."

"I know the drill. I meant that..." He said with a  giggle.

"I know what you meant. I was just kidding. Listen, winning and losing is part of the game. Both the teams gave it their best shot but I guess New Zealand made one less mistake. Besides, you have one more match left so you guys can still win the series." I said as I rested my head on his shoulders.

"WE can still win the series, Nandini. Don't forget you are also a part of Team India." He corrected me.

"Of course, WE can still win this!" I said with a smile.

"I wanted to apologise." He mumbled.

"For what?" I said lifting my head from his shoulder and looking towards him.

"For the whole Bumrah thing. I should've just told you the truth from the beginning." He said as he shrugged.

"You're right, you should have but it's all in the past now. I spoke to Bumrah and we sorted it all out, so there isn't a need to apologise. Just don't do something like that again or you've had it." I attempted to talk in a serious tone but we both cracked up laughing.

"I promise I won't." He said in between his laughs.

"Good boy!" I said as I patted his head.

The door bell rang and I rushed to open the door but Manik grabbed my hand.

"Stop!" He exclaimed.

"Why?" I questioned.

"Because the hotel staff know this is my room and if you open it then don't you think they'll start creating rumours. Breaking News: "The mystery girl from the stadium was once again spotted in Manik Malhotra's room." He said dramatically to which I giggled.

"I'm no longer the mystery girl, I'm now known as Doctor Nandini Murthy, Team India's Doctor." I said proudly.

"Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that!" He replied.

"Buddhu! Now go open the door, let's just be on the safe side!" I said as I sat back down.

"Of course mi lady." He said as he bowed in front of me.

"Nautanki! Go and open the door now!" I pushed him away.

"Nandini have you invited the entire team for lunch or what? There are so many dishes here." He said as he came back with a trolley of food.