Chapter 40 - Back to Bay

The party was in full swing, and I had also managed to have a nice conversation with Naina and Chris without feeling insecure.

"Manik we both actually want to share something with you two." Chris said nervously.

"Everything okay bro?" Manik asked with concern.

"Manik, everything is fine. In fact, everything is amazing. We both actually wanted to invite you to something." Naina replied as she took Chris' hand in hers.

"We're getting married Manik. I proposed 6 months back and we're getting married at the end of this month, and I really want you there with me." Chris said hesitantly waiting for Manik's reaction.

"What? You're getting married? You've only been dating for what like 4 years? Why are you getting married so quickly?" Manik said in shock.

"Manik, 4 years not 4 months. That's a long time and we're both madly in love with each other and see a life together. Besides, we're already living together." Naina replied.

"Aren't you happy for us Manik?" Chris asked as he placed his hand on Manik's shoulders.

"Chris, I just need a minute please." Manik said as he walked away from us. I gave Chris and Naina a small smile and whispered a congratulations and then went after Manik. He walked over to the balcony and started to stare at the clear sky.

"So what happened back there?" I asked softly.

"I don't know. I don't know how to react Nandini. I should be happy for them. Chris is one of my best friends and he deserves all the happiness, but for some reason, I couldn't get myself to say anything. It was a shock. I'm sorry you had to see that. I promise you I am over her and I only love you." Manik explained.

"Manik you don't need to convince me that you love me and you definitely do not need to apologise for how you feel. No matter how long it has been since you two broke up, you still loved her at one point. Now to see her about to get married is a shock, but I think this will be nice. You both moved on from each other but this wedding will help you to really accept that." I said softly.

"Nandini I've accepted it way back. Even before I met you, I accepted that Naina will not be mine now and honestly I don't want her either. I have you and that's all I need. But you are right, this wedding will officially end all that was between me and Naina as a couple. From this point onwards, I can see her as my best friends wife rather than my ex."

"That's more like it. Now shall we go and congratulate the couple?" I asked with a smile.

"Let's go." He replied.

"Manik, all okay?" Chris asked with concern.

"Of course! Sorry, I shouldn't have walked away like that. I just needed a minute. I really am happy for you both and I wish you both all the happiness in the world. I can't wait for you both to tie the knot." Manik said as he hugged Chris.

"We wish you both all the great things in life." I added.

We all enjoyed the party together and celebrated the amazing news. Hearing Chris and Naina's wedding announcement made me feel very content. All this time, my heart was insecure. A tiny part of me was worried that Manik and Naina's love would rekindle but both Naina and Manik have truly moved on. Manik now loves me and I love him. I couldn't ask for anything more.

One month later:

The Australia tour had finally ended and India finished it off with a win. I'm so proud of the entire team. This also means my placement as India's physiotherapist has also ended. I was offered a permanent position but the hospital is my happy place. While working with Team India was a surreal experience, I can't wait to get back to the hospital, but I will always be cheering on Team India from the stands.