Chapter 2 - First meetings!

Few hours later:

"What do you mean I won't be able to play cricket for a few months? Where's the doctor? I want to speak to the doctor!" Manik shouted out loud as he found out from his parents about his fracture.

"Sir please it's a request. Please don't shout!" The nurse said softly.

"I want to speak to the doctor! Now!" He paid no heed to the poor nurse and she simply looked down and proceeded to call the doctor.

"Please stop shouting Mr Malhotra. This is a hospital not your cricket ground." The doctor said with a stern voice as she walked in the room.

"Excuse me? What shall I do if not shout? What do you mean by I won't be able to play cricket for a while? And where's Doctor Sharma?" Manik continued shouting.

"Mr Malhotra your ankle is fractured. It's broken! The more stress you will put on it, the worse it will get. Screaming is not going to help! And Doctor Sharma is out on an emergency. He has instructed me to go ahead with your treatment!" The doctor calmly explained to her patient.

"I'm going to ring Doctor Sharma!" He exclaimed.

"That's fine. Please go ahead!" She said as he reached out for his phone that was placed on his bedside table. She knew there was no point of ringing Doctor Sharma but there was also no point in stopping this stubborn man.

"Hello? Doctor Sharma I need you to treat me! I understand you are on an emergency but I don't want any junior doctor treating me!" He said with frustration on the phone.

"Manik please understand. She is one of the best doctors we have. She is not a junior doctor. She has trained under me and has been working in our hospital for 4 years now. I'm sure your treatment will be done well. I need to go to Delhi tonight for an operation. I'm really sorry Manik but I promise you she will do your best treatment!" The doctor spoke over the phone trying to calm his regular patient down.

"Fine! Only because you said so!" He said.

"Are you done Mr Malhotra? I need to do your check up!" The doctor then asked.

"Yeah I guess!" He replied casually. Manik Malhotra was the type of person who only believed something once he heard it himself.

"Can I please ask you all to wait outside whilst I do his check up." The doctor asked his family to wait patiently outside.

"Sure!" Raj said as he went outside with the rest of his family.

"Shreya, please go and photocopy the patients reports and check if his medicines are here at reception." The doctor instructed her nurse.

"Sure doctor! Are you sure you don't need any help here?" The nurse said as she looked at the handsome man dreamily. Manik Malhotra was indeed a very handsome man, girls went gaga over him but our doctor did not seem to be affected.

"Shreya I will be fine. Please do as you are told!" She said sternly understanding the situation.

"Sorry doctor!" She said as she went out to do her tasks.