Chapter 29 - Seeking answers!

"Nandini, we need to talk!" I said as I walked up to her. She was having a conversation with our coach.

"They're waiting for you Manik. Games about to start!" Coach said as he saw me approach them.

"Coach, 2 minutes please!" I requested.

"Manik, no! This can wait!" He said as he gestured towards me and Nandini.

"Coach please! It's important!" I almost pleaded. It was so important for me to talk to Nandini.

"2 minutes and that's it!" He said sternly as he left.

"Thank you!" I replied.

"Nandini, what's going on? Why are you here? What's all this?" I threw all my questions st her. I needed answers soon!

"Manik, calm down! I'm just as shocked to be here as you are. I'll explain everything after, I promise. Please just calm down and focus on the game." She said softly.

"After after after! Everybody's saying they'll explain to me after! First Virat, and now you! Why are people playing with my emotions yaar?" I said as I threw my hands in disappointment.

"Manik it's not that deep! It's a long, complicated story and this is not the time for it! I told you naa, I'll explain after the match!" She explained further.

"Fine!" I said irritatedly and turned to walk away.

"Good luck!" She replied as I turned and gave her a 'are you serious?' look.

The rest of the match went by in the blink of a second. We managed to get some early wickets and by the 14th over, New Zealand were all out. Once the match finished, we waited around for the post-match presentation in which I received the man of the match award from my incredible batting. Despite winning the award, I felt restless. I wanted to run to get my answers. The presentation soon finished and I headed towards Nandini but I was soon stopped by Virat.

"Manik, we need to talk!" Virat whispered.

"Not now Virat, I need to speak to Nandini." I replied.

"I hold more answers then her. Come!" He said as he grabbed my hand and we walked towards one of the empty conference rooms.

"Before we set off for New Zealand, Our physio Tim had a family emergency come up. He couldn't join us, he had to fly back home to England. We needed a physio as soon as possible as we were required to leave for New Zealand the next day. Coach was panicking! We didn't know where to get a physio at such short notice and then I remembered about Nandini. She had treated you when you had that leg injury. She's a doctor and also specialises in physiotherapy. She seemed perfect for this role. I spoke to the board about her and considering the amazing reputation she has in the medical field, they agreed." Virat started to narrate the story.

"Why didn't you inform me Virat?" I questioned with a hurtful tone.

"I couldn't! I wasn't allowed to say anything until it was confirmed that she was joining us. I wanted to tell you, I promise! But I couldn't. In the meeting we had before today's match, I shared the news with everyone but you weren't at the meeting. After that, I didn't get a chance to tell you anything. I'm sorry you found out like that!" He said softly as he placed his hand on my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me.

"Virat, do you realise how messed up all this is? Nandini shouldn't be here! She shouldn't be working with us. Last time something like this happened, the outcomes were bad! Virat, I don't want to go through all that again. I love Nandini, I love that girl so much and I don't want to risk losing her!" I confessed in front of Virat as unknown tears made their way down.