Chapter 16 - Just friends?

We soon reached the hospital where we found Navya di. My parents weren't there. I paid little attention to it and went towards di.

"Hey di." I said as I hugged her.

"Hiya Nandu! Where were you bachaa? Dadu was saying that you just threw a tantrum and ran off somewhere!" Navya di stated.

"I didn't throw a tantrum di. What am I? A four year old?" I said irritatedly as I got out of the hug. I did not throw a tantrum, I had a valid reason to be upset! Clearly my family did not understand that.

"Aray why are you getting angry?" She said as she caressed my cheeks.

"I'm sorry!" I said softly and hugged her again.

"It's okay. Wait you're crying? Nandini what's wrong?" Navya di said immediately as she felt my tears. I don't even know why I started crying again. Everything that happened today, it was all too much for me!

"Nothing di. I'm just a mess today." I stated blankly as I left the hug.

"Tell me what's happened!" She said firmly as she stared at Manik.

"Woah I've not done anything!" Manik said in his defence.

"Di Manik hasn't done anything. In fact he's the one that cheered me up!" I said in his support.

"Toh maine kab kahaa that he has done something. I just looked at him to ask him what was wrong with you!" She explained herself.

"Oh like that!" I stated.

"Yes like that!" She said imitating me.

"Anyways Nandini, Amms is in a stable condition. She keeps asking for you. Go and see her." Di further said.

"Sure. Come Manik!" I said as I held his hand and started to walk towards the door.

"No! I mean sorry but Manik you can't go in. I mean you shouldn't go in right now with Nandini. Amms may get ideas and we don't want that to happen?" Navya di explained. She was right, we did not want Amms to get any wrong ideas about us.

"Ideas?" Manik questioned cluelessly.

"Yes ideas! About you two! If she sees you both together she might assume that you've said yes to marriage which will only cause more issues." Navya di explained to him.

"I understand. Nandini you go ahead and I'll see her later." He said with a smile. I smiled back and proceeded to walk before I was stopped, once again!"

"Nandu, tum aise jaaogi?" Navya di said.

"Kaise?" I questioned.

"You're holding his hand!" She said with a giggle.

"No I'm not, I, oh sorry!" I started to deny that I was holding his hand when Manik pulled his hand up only for me to find my hand wrapped around his. Oops the embarrassment! I quickly apologised and almost ran into the room before either one of them could see my flushed pink cheeks. I heard them both giggling behind me, and in any other situation I would've turned around and shouted at both of them. But today, I couldn't turn around simply because I was blushing! I, Nandini Murthy, was blushing because of a man! Can you believe that? Because I can't!

As I went inside, I found my Amms lying down on the bed. As she saw me, she gave me a weak smile. I hated seeing her in this condition, I really did! I tried my best to keep my tears in, I couldn't let her see me like this. Slowly, I walked towards her and sat on the stool nearby.