the barrier

Christmas. One of my favourite and least favourite days. In some ways it was the best day because I got to spend it with the most amazing family that treated me as if I was their own and I could spend it with the boy I had the biggest crush on. But, in other ways it made me realise how much I missed my family and how much I wished they would come home for Christmas just once.

Ginny's bed was empty and 'mione wasn't anywhere to be found which led me to believe that they were already downstairs. I got myself out of bed and looked in the mirror deciding that I have definitely looked worse and made my way downstairs.

As I came down the stairs I was met by two familiar red heads.

"Y/nn!" they yelled "merry Christmas" I smiled as they both gave me a kiss on either cheek.

"Merry Christmas boys" I pulled them into a massive hug.

"What happened to the prank last night? Have the prank-masters finally failed?" I gasped sarcastically.

"It's really offensive that you would underestimate us" George fake cried.

"We technically didn't fail, we just decided that tonight was the night instead" Fred explained.

"Yeah yeah I think you guys couldn't pull it off, it's okay to admit you suck" I jabbed at them as their mouths hung open.

"Wow y/nn that was just rude" they said in unison.

"I'm only kidding you're the best really" I joked.

"Can we get that in paper?" Fred asked.

"Goodbye boys" I walked off and they ran upstairs, probably to grab their gifts.

As I walked to the oh so familiar living room I was met with the faces that I loved so dearly. Ginny and 'mione noticed me straight away and ran up to me pulling me into a hug.

"Merry Christmas y/nn" they squealed, I hugged them back just as tightly.

"Merry Christmas" I smiled.

I then went round the room and hugged both Molly and Arthur again thanking them for letting me stay round at such short notice. I also gave Harry a big hug which he returned. I was then introduced to a person I had heard a lot about. Bill Weasley, he was definitely very handsome and the scars just added to the effect. But I was soon informed of his girlfriend and my dreams of marrying him were off the table just as quickly as they were on.

Once I had said hello to everyone I sat down on the sofa next to Ron.

"Merry Christmas" I whispered in his ear.

"Merry Christmas" he smiled.

"Nice shirt" I joked.

"Don't even start, mum was fuming about the t-shirt, said I was the clumsiest child she had ever met" he rolled his eyes "then I mentioned you and she had changed completely said it was just an accident and that she doesn't mind" I laughed. "Swear that woman loves you more than me sometimes"

"I love her more than you so it works out perfectly if you ask me" I smirked.

Just as he was about to offer a rebuttal Molly called out to the family.

"Okay present time! BOYS GET DOWN HERE NOW!" she yelled and I could hear the twins running down the stairs.

Once everyone was gathered in the living room we all received our gifts from Molly first. A knitted sweater with a big y/i plastered on the front. It was red and gold like every other year, Gryffindor pride and all of that. I walked over to Molly and gave her many thank yous as I slipped it over my pyjamas.