Thirteen

Hagrid beamed at the class in front of him. "Righ' I thought since yer don't know what the skewts eat, that yer could come down af'er classes and observe 'em."

Draco protested. "I will not!" He looked at the crates in disgust. Many of the skewts were growing at an alarming pace. "I've had enough of them already."

Hagrid narrowed his eyes. "Yeh'll do as yer told or I'll take a leaf out of Moody's book and make yer a ferret again."

This was enough to shut Malfoy down, even Lauren and Daphne laughed quietly; they knew he'd never do that.

The class dragged on slowly after that, Draco remained quiet the rest of the lesson.

As they were getting ready to proceed into the Great Hall, there was a sign plastered beside the doors.

Beauxbaton and Durmstrang students will be arriving on Friday 30th October. Classes will finish half an hour early and you are to return your belongings to your dorms before the welcome feast.

"Only a week away, Cedric!" Ernie McMillan, fellow student, exclaimed.

Lauren looked over curiously, was he considering entering? She had no idea why anyone would risk such a thing. He caught her staring and he gave her a friendly smile and wave.

Daphne looked on curiously as well. "Do you know Cedric?"

Lauren shook her head, gathering the attention of her friends. "Our fathers worked together and he showed me where the Great Hall was after my sorting."

Draco nodded, suppressing any jealous feelings down. "He'd make a better champion than Potter at least."

At this remark, Harry cleared his throat from behind them. "Surprised you didn't ask your father to buy your way into the tournament too." He said.

Malfoy turned and snickered. "Wouldn't go judging what you don't have, Potter."

Harry frowned but before he could retaliate Lauren rolled her eyes. "Both of you shut it." She turned and led the group away, Draco apologised to her quietly and she squeezed his shoulder reassuringly.

Over the next week, the tournament was the talk of the school. Everyone was desperate to find out what the tasks would be, and who the champions were. Many of whom were also curious about the foreign schools and how they'd come across.

The teachers were all tense in the lead up. Filch the caretaker spent many nights scrubbing each portrait and fixing the creaky armour. He snapped at anyone who's laces were undone, or shirt was out.

As Friday rolled around, the Slytherin group were surprised at the new decorations. Silk banners aligned the walls with all of their houses, and a large Hogwarts crest was positioned behind the teachers table. Lauren supposed they wanted to make a good impression, however lack lustre these decorations were.

They had just finished another gruelling Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson; everyone tired from having to fight the Imperius Curse again. Moody screaming at them after every sentence wasn't comforting either. Thankfully, it concluded a half hour early to give everyone time to head back to the dungeons before the foreign students arrived.

Blaise was talking animatedly, "I wonder how long we have to wait before the champions are announced."

Daphne shrugged. "Probably a few weeks at least to give everyone time to settle in and submit their names, I'm just keen to talk to some French wizards."

Lauren was intrigued by the newcomers as well. She hadn't met anyone outside of American and British and wondered what they'd be like.

After they'd made it out of the dungeons once more, they'd been instructed to line up in the front grounds awkwardly. Everyone was whispering to each other.