Seventeen

McGonagall paced around the front of her transfiguration class, she'd just finished marking their essays and was thoroughly underwhelmed. She'd expected a lot more from her fourth year Slytherin cohort. It was not a good way to finish the Monday, a day before the first task.

Her lips tightened to a thin line as she stated around at everyone, making them feel uneasy. "Your essays were abominable. For a bunch of fourth years it felt as if I was grading the first years again," she threw her hands up in exasperation. "How could you possibly expect to even be allowed to sit through your O.W.Ls next year?"

With a tense wave of her wand, their essays neatly handed themselves out. Lauren breathed a sigh of relief as she'd gotten top marks, she snuck a look at Draco who gave her a thumbs up in return. Daphne and Blaise looked fairly happy with their results too, she dared to look at Crabbe and Goyle, whom were not even reading their paper.

McGonagall spoke again. "Today we will be doing the colour changing charm, colovaria, the purpose to change the colour of your desk firstly before moving to someone else's hair."

The class recited the spell back to McGonagall before she let them practise on the furniture. Lauren pushed her chair back, as to get a better look at her target. She concentrated as hard as she could, picturing a colour in her mind, before confidently chanting.

"Colovaria."

She smiled as her desk changed into a lovely mint green colour

She smiled as her desk changed into a lovely mint green colour. Her eyes wandered to Draco's desk, he was having trouble reciting the spell.

She pulled her chair closer to him. "Colovaria, more emphasis on the v sound than the o sound." She whispered.

He smiled gratefully, recounting her advice in his mind as he tried again. His eyes lit up as his desk changed to a light blue, he was taken aback it had worked so quickly.

After the rest of them slowly understood the spell, they'd moved on to changing hair colour in pairs. Draco insisted he only trusted Lauren with spells involving hair, this caused Daphne to feign hurt which made them all laugh.

They faced their chairs towards one another. Lauren raised her wand with the usual confidence, focusing on the familiar platinum hair. She recited the spell, his hair gradually transitioning from platinum to a baby blue; the same shade as his desk.

She pulled out a compact mirror and handed it to him so he could be the judge. He grinned, visibly impressed. "Amazing, Laur. My turn."

Lauren nodded and sat patiently, having him stare so intently gave her a warm feeling. He raised his wand and executed the spell perfectly.

The coldness of the compact mirror in her palm gave her a slight chill. She inspected his work and smiled, they had matching hair now.

"I can change the colour if you want-"