Thirty One

The break had ended all too soon and Draco and Lauren were back with their friend group. Neither of them had exchanged gifts, aside from Crabbe and Goyle. Easter was like Christmas for them and draco and Lauren had made sure to surprise them with the food. They'd waited for Blaise and Daphne to make the first move, which resulted in no Easter exchanges with either of them. Draco and Lauren didn't mind much at all, Easter wasn't the biggest holiday and they'd had such a wonderful time together nothing else really mattered.

With school back in full swing, the third task was fast approaching. It was all anyone could talk about, whispers of what it may be echoed the halls.

The group were lounging on the edge of the fountain near the flying lessons courtyard when Cedric had approached them. "Lauren, Draco, can I have a word?" He asked politely, his Hufflepuff robes neatly tied.

Lauren and Draco stood up from their spot and walked out of earshot from the group. Cedric looked slightly nervous. "Listen, I've found out the third task and was wondering if you could ask Professor Snape to help me with duelling practise?" He looked at Lauren.

Before Lauren could agree, Draco piped up. "What's the third task?" He narrowed his eyes. "I'll find out from my parents soon enough and why haven't you asked Snape yourself?"

Cedric hesitated a moment, he did have a point. "Have a look at the quidditch pitch and you'll see it. And Professor Snape doesn't talk to other houses, only Slytherin. Will you guys help?"

"Of course, Cedric, we'd be happy to." Lauren playfully nudged Draco, signalling him to agree. Malfoy nodded along and headed back to their group after arranging to meet with Cedric that very night.

Blaise raised an eyebrow. "What did the Puff want?" He snickered at his nickname.

Draco shrugged. "He wants to talk to Snape." He wasn't going to discuss any further as he was still angry with Blaise and Daphne for their behaviour.

Daphne's mouth formed a tight line, she hated being on the outside. But remaining friends with two people insistent on rejecting their blood status seemed like a betrayal to her family. Sure she wasn't the cruelest Slytherin, but she couldn't fathom being civil with muggleborns. They were a different breed.

Lauren had written a single letter at the beginning of the break and Daphne had ignored it. She loved Lauren but she wasn't going to get herself killed for that.

Needless to say, the tension amongst the four feuding friends was uncomfortable. Crabbe and Goyle weren't involved, preferring to remain oblivious. Deep down they were loyal to Draco above everything.

A cold rush of wind fell over the group, Draco decided to talk to Snape as soon as possible. He could tell Lauren was uncomfortable being around Blaise and Daphne. Poor girl was a terrible liar and emotion faker.

His hand reached out for his best friends and he gave her a small smile. "Shall we talk to Snape, my darling?" He exaggerated the funny nickname, causing Lauren to laugh.

Her hand fell into his naturally as he hoisted her off of the ground. She quickly smoothed her skirt down and they headed to the dungeons to see their Potions Professor.

"Daphne looked cheerful." Draco sarcastically whispered. Their friends face looked more sour than Professor Snape teaching Gryffindors.

Lauren sighed, she hated drama of any kind and yet her life was a practical soap opera. "I wish I hadn't spoken up about it, what if they tell their parents? Word travels quick." Her chest began to feel heavy as the crushing weight of being hunted by the death eaters dawned on her.