Twenty One

Draco and Lauren had been correct in assuming Daphne's reaction. She'd screamed the walls down, and hugged them many times. Word had spread rather quickly around Slytherin.

It was two days when Lauren had finally received an answer from Narcissa.

She'd waited till they were out of the Hall and in the common room. Draco could tell Lauren was anxious for the letter in her hand. Once they were sitting, she ripped open the envelope.

Narcissa's immaculate handwriting read:

Lauren,

Your grandmother is alive. She's been keeping your parents in check. Lucius and I have been checking in a lot more.

Draco told us about the Ball - we are most excited for you two! Have the best time sweetheart, we are always thinking of you.

Lots of love,
- Narcissa

Her pulse began racing, she was alive. That's all she needed to hear. Once the year was done, she'd be able to see her again.

She handed the letter to Draco. He smiled as his eyes scanned the contents and hugged her. His heart skipped a beat as he felt her relax in his arms.

Over the next few days, classes were concluded early and each house was divided to learn dancing with their Head. This meant that Severus Snape was going to teach them how to dance well enough to not embarrass the school. None of the slytherins were looking forward to it, Snape had a serious lack of people skills. As well as a lot of the purebloods knew how to dance already - a strict regime of the body image pressures for a well rounded socialite.

Snape had cleared his classroom of the work benches, leaving adequate space for the fourth years to practise. Paige and Daphne stood beside Draco and Lauren; mentally preparing themselves for the train wreck. Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle were resting against the wall; neither of them interested in obtaining dates. Before Lauren, Draco would have joined them against the wall, hands in pockets. But he couldn't deny the excitement at being able to dance with his childhood love. And current super secret love. He watched as Lauren took out her ponytail, running a finger through her long curls. Absentmindedly making him want her.

 Absentmindedly making him want her

Lauren turned to him. "This better be a good show." She beamed, her perfect teeth gleaming.

Draco smirked. "Let the show begin." He whispered as Snape walked in.

He swished his wand, shutting the door and closing all of the blinds. Another wave and the lanterns had turned on.

"Today you'll be learning the ways of traditional ballroom dancing. Pay close attention as I won't have you embarrassing the school." At the mention of ballroom dancing, Draco heard Blaise laugh which angered Snape. "Zabini, you can be my volunteer."

Blaise froze as his jaw dropped. Draco couldn't help but burst out laughing at his misfortune. Daphne clapped obnoxiously and cheered him on. A few of the lads wolf whistled as Blaise reluctantly went forward.